Brake Pad and Rotors Upgrades

khiyasu

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my brake pads and rotors. Had a close call today. Looking for better security and better handling.

After research, I've heard a few popular names - Axxis Deluxe/Ultimates, HPS, EBC Reds, or Stoptech. I'm not looking to go to the track/street racing. Just basic driving but would like the security for emergency braking. Also, hopefully something with longer life and less brake dust.

Also, for the rotors, any recommendations? No idea about rotors.

Thanks

Brandon

Hawk pads are definately reputible, as for the rotors.... I hear good things about EBC rotors. If I were going to go out and get a new brake set up, that is the combination i would go with!

-Brandon
________
Iolite Vaporizer

Last edited:

grayghost

I just bought Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and and Stoptech Street Performance rotors. The drilled and slotted rotors have almost no performance value for street driving but I like how they look. I brought mine from ProPartsUSA in California. They were helpful, had good prices and quick shipping. While I was at it I bought stainless steel brake lines.

mjones73

Drilled and slotted rotors give you less surface space which means less braking power. They also chew up pads faster. There's no need for them in a DD other then looks.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Rotors wont matter that much. Don't waste your money. I had DBA slotted that I paid over $100 for each and warped. I now have the generic rotors from advanced auto parts.

I paired them with hawk hps pads and motul brake fluid wit ss lines. Next time, I'm just getting autozone or advanced auto parts rotors.

khiyasu

haha I guess all brake pads would be an upgrade from what I have now? And just not to get the drilled/slotted rotors?

How about for winter driving? Read that some does not perform as well in the winter. Any idea of which pads/rotors are good for winters? Thanks

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I run hawk HP+ pads with brembo blanks they are okay as a street track hybrid. i suggest getting the Hawk HPS with less dust. and a brembo blank

mirrorimg

There is always some arguments on what really shortens braking distance. A lighter car means less weight/mass for brakes to slow down, different materials means more grip, but wear out faster (and race pads are required to be at a certain temperature for maximum grip). Larger disks and pads means greater stopping power in general.

You can go these routes for larger disks and larger calipers (thus larger pads).

Legend brake upgrade (I believe with redrilled Prelude disks)
ITR brake upgrade
Modified porsche brake upgrade
Big Brake upgrade

mjones73

haha I guess all brake pads would be an upgrade from what I have now? And just not to get the drilled/slotted rotors?
Depends on what you have now. As I mentioned, drilled/slotted rotors reduce stopping power due to having less surface area available for the pad to grip.

What exactly happened that you want to upgrade your brakes?

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
i would get oem brake pads ftw :)
X2

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Excerpts:
". . .and the ultra high temperature racing pads are ineffective at the low temperatures typically experienced in street use."
&

"As an example, during the mid 1960s, those of us at Shelby American did not drive GT 350 or GT 500 Mustangs as company cars simply because they were equipped with Raybestos M-19 racing pads and none of our wives could push on the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car in normal driving."

mirrorimg

X2

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Excerpts:
". . .and the ultra high temperature racing pads are ineffective at the low temperatures typically experienced in street use."
&

"As an example, during the mid 1960s, those of us at Shelby American did not drive GT 350 or GT 500 Mustangs as company cars simply because they were equipped with Raybestos M-19 racing pads and none of our wives could push on the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car in normal driving."
This doesnt mean stock is better. Some pads are made more aggressive for increased bite, and do not need to be "Race" pads. That means they operate just fine at normal temperatures.

The OP is looking to increase his braking power, he's not looking at super crazy pads that are only viable at cars that are braking constantly from 100mph to 25 over and over.