brake pedal sinks almost crashed!!

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
okay so i recently changed my front driver side brake caliper and also my rear brake pads. I was driving today and i pushed in the brake and the pedal hit the floor so i slowly pulled my ebrake and jsut barly stopped else i would of hit the car infront of me then i pump the brake pedal and for the rest of the 1 hour drive it did not sink at all infact it felt a little stiffer so wat do you guys think could be the problem i also pused in the brake pedal after turning my car off and it held pressure ive only been able to bleed 3 wheels as the passanger side has a seized bleeder but could that have happened just from not bleeding one wheel? (i drive a da btw)

Muckman

Not a M0derator
wow you didn't test your brakes before heading out in traffic?
You def have air in the system from either a poor bleeding job or you have a leak.

Be careful.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Yup, u have air. U need to get that passenger bleeder fixed. By not bleeding the passenger side, air will travel through the brake lines. You got lucky

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
You need to bleed the farthest wheel first, and the closest wheel last.

Edit: Apparently what ive been told is wrong :lol:.

Disregard

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
98-01 is:
- Front Left -> Front Right -> Rear Right -> Rear Left

94-97 is:
- Rear Right -> Front Left -> Rear Left -> Front Right

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
98-01 is:
- Front Left -> Front Right -> Rear Right -> Rear Left

94-97 is:
- Rear Right -> Front Left -> Rear Left -> Front Right
really? I just did mine from the Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front
Why would it be any other way?

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
okay so when my brake pedal sunk what happened was that my caliper had actually fallen off and it felt like my brakes went but really it was all the juice goin to the caliper and closing the gap that was made after it fell off the rotor. Wow i look,ed at the bolt in it and its threads were like flat and super rusted it looks like they both just literally slid out. I bought new bolts and put the caliper back on and checked all bolts on all calipers and also bled the whole system properly and used 2 bottles to flush the whole thing before hand. and muckman in absolute no offence to you im just saying that ive been driving this car for about 2 months and nothing like this has happened before. I thank you for always helping me literally lol on almost all my posts u have helped me and thank you everyone else i was sure i would have got insulted aha.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Don't worry there's no offense to be taken. You didn't state that you had been driving it for 2 months. As it read in the original post it sounded like you just did the brake job and then you're almost rear ending someone. I'm glad you got it figured out. Don't forget to torque those caliper bolts to 80ft-lbs.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
really? I just did mine from the Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front
Why would it be any other way?
Split diagonal braking system is why, please don't assume all cars are the same. That is some bad info to pass around and can get someone hurt.

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
okay so i had bled mine like this (left front,right front,right rear, left rear) do i HAVE to rebleed them? and also i hand tightened them yesterday and drove it today after about 2 hours total driving time my rear caliper fell off again! the 2 bolts that hold the whole caliper assembly on. i used 14mm bolts(head size) and they looked like the had fit perfectly

Last edited:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
okay so i had bled mine like this (left front,right front,right rear, left rear) do i HAVE to rebleed them? and also i hand tightenedthem yesterday and drove it today after about 2 hours total driving time my rear caliper fell off again! the 2 bolts that hold the whole caliper assembly on. i used 14mm bolts(head size) and they looked like the had fit perfectly
Bold1: You did it wrong the first time, buy another bottle of brake fluid and do it again the right way. Why even risk it?

Bold2: What do you mean you hand tightened them? You tightened them with your hand? They have a torque spec, and head size isn't the only important thing. Are they actual brake caliper bolts or did you just fine bolts with 14mm heads?