brakes screech

OKNOE.

my brakes make a high pitched screeching sound when i lightly press the brake pedal.

when i press it more firmly it seems to go away.
..the weird thing is that even when im not pressing the brake pedal at all.
and i give it gas, it'll ocassionally make a really annoying screech.

this has really been bothering me especiallly now that its getting louder and happening more often

is it time to replace my brake pads?
or can it possibly be something else?

it sounds like metal on metal
almost identical to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdE12B8QXM&feature=player_embedded

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
You'll need new pads for sure, you might also need new rotors if you keep driving like that. If you change them yourself, make sure you grease up the back of the pad (not the side that touches that rotor) and clean it all very well with a steel brush. I'm sure there is a youtube video about it though.
Good luck with getting new pads!!

Super-DA9

1990 DA9 LS
Have a listen to whether it's coming from the front, back, or all. Jack the car up on stands, remove the wheels, check the brake pads, if they're worn down to nothing then replace them, if they're still ok buy some anti squeal fluid/spray (available at most auto stores) and apply a little bit of that to your brake pads and see how you go. :)

Good luck!

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
From my last breaking woes i'll give this word advice, don't brush it aside, my break pad disintegrated and i lost almost all breaking power... i'll upload pics of the pad tonight

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
Here's the picture of my brake pad... as you can see there is no pad, it completely disintegrated, grinding started, then a week later on my way to work, put my foot on the brake and bam... it was like a warped rotor but worse then any warped rotor i've ever had

this is why i say don't take it lightly

MeZ90

LS MONSTER!!!
my 99 LS started doing that this morning on the way to work going to change them today

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
new pads and anytime you replace your pads you should "turn" the rotor or replace it if its not thick enough to turn.
and while youre at it get some test strips and check your fluid, this wouldnt cause the schreech but hell if youre gonna do a brake job then make it full service.
some people dont turn ot replace their rotors. sometimes you will get away with it but i promise you'll get longer pad life and bettter braking if the rotors are new or turned then scrapped with emery cloth.

SketchX13

i-VTEC do you?
Here's the picture of my brake pad... as you can see there is no pad, it completely disintegrated, grinding started, then a week later on my way to work, put my foot on the brake and bam... it was like a warped rotor but worse then any warped rotor i've ever had

this is why i say don't take it lightly
woah :shock:

But yeah most likely its the pads bro, change 'em asap!

bradster101

Whats the trick to getting the piston pressed back in after installing the pads?
Last time I did my brakes I had a hell of a time getting the piston pushed back in far enough to get the new pads on over the rotor..... Any tips for making it easier or ideas of why it was so hard to do?

justincpowell

1991 Acura Integra GS
Whats the trick to getting the piston pressed back in after installing the pads?
Last time I did my brakes I had a hell of a time getting the piston pushed back in far enough to get the new pads on over the rotor..... Any tips for making it easier or ideas of why it was so hard to do?
pop the hood. remove the cap from the brake fluid resivior(relieves pressure).
place an old pad against the piston, use the one that was alreay located there. then grab a C-clamp and just tighten it up, be sure to place it in the centermost position and be careful where you place the side of the C-clamp that doesnt contact the pad. lol inve seen bleeder screws, line fittings, etc get messed up from poor placement. to prevent a mess watch the fuild in the resivour(if fluid was added over time or it was over full to begin with it could run out and thats just another mess to clean up plus brake fluid is bad for paint).

and i know when people ask tech questions they want reliable sources so mine is that im certified by Arkansas state for brakes, suspension, and engine performance(about to add manual and automatic drive trains lol) and i recieved the chancellors list(4.0 grade average) for the three certifications i have. and at the end of 2011 ill be A.S.E cerftified hopefully lol.

Last edited: