Brakes stopped working

Tokyo_Drift

So I'm driving, car seems fine, I go to pick up my friend, and pull over. All of a sudden, my brakes are gone. The pedal has no resistance on it, and nothing happens when I push it, unless I jam the pedal to the floor, and they somewhat work.

WTF is going on, it was scary as shit trying to drive without brakes. What should I check

C Aaron

So I'm driving, car seems fine, I go to pick up my friend, and pull over. All of a sudden, my brakes are gone. The pedal has no resistance on it, and nothing happens when I push it, unless I jam the pedal to the floor, and they somewhat work.

WTF is going on, it was scary as shit trying to drive without brakes. What should I check
there's air into your brake lines, u have to purge your brake fluid.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
air in the lines, or master cyl is shot. does the pedal return by its self it not its a booster issue, but propably either air in the lines or master cyl is dead

Tokyo_Drift

air in the lines, or master cyl is shot. does the pedal return by its self it not its a booster issue, but propably either air in the lines or master cyl is dead
Yeah the pedal returns by itself.

JohnCarter

Isn't a dash light supposed to come on for low fluid? Anyway, add fluid and test brakes. May need to bleed air from the lines.

BTW...why was it low? Brake fluid doesn't just disappear. Sounds like you should have the whole system checked for a leak.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
dash light comes on when its like almost out with 1/4 in of fluid it should be off but 1/16 it comes on i think

Tokyo_Drift

dash light comes on when its like almost out with 1/4 in of fluid it should be off but 1/16 it comes on i think
My light is on, but I assumed it was for the parking brake sensor, so I never worried about it.

But yeah, I put more brake fluid in it, and it didnt change a thing.

xCo1ToNx

i had the same problem and it was my brake booster. when you step on the brake, do you hear air leaking from somewhere behind the steering wheel or atleast some where around that area? Because thats what i heard and it was my brake booster

Tokyo_Drift

I don't have a clue on how to bleed brakes at all. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to anything mechanical

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
jack up your car. undo the bleeding valve on the rear right caliper pump 10 times and hold it 3/4 down and have someone open the bleeding valve and then do it until theres no air. then repeat on the rear left side then the front right then front left. it should go in a backwards z pattern. it takes 2 to do this.