Brand new engine burning oil :((

djv1986

I completely rebuilt a b18c1 engine from top to bottom. At 300 miles it wasn't even on the dipstick I added a quart and was in the appropriate area. Another 250 miles driven and again it needed another quart of oil to be on the recommended area. What is normal mileage it takes to break in an Gsr engine before it stops burning oil?

Hayvan

legitimately weird.
It shouldn't be burning oil to begin with, atleast not that much.
I had broken my engine in with 10w40 cheap ass oil for 500km's, swapped it for my regular brand oil and it still hasn't consumed a bit (1000+km's (of which 200 on track))

purp_db7

You deff should check for leaks you rebuilt your motor so I imagine you kno how to check your oil IMO check for leaks all motors burn oil but deff not that much

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
All motors do not burn oil, wtf is that shit lmfao. A freshly rebuilt one definitley should not be burning oil. There is no "break in period" at all, it takes 20mins to "break a motor in". The only thing you're doing is allowing the rings to seat. Did you have the motor tuned?

Read this as its full of knowledge when it come to "breaking in new motors"

http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/breakin.htm

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
There will be much debate on this topic Josh and i have different ideas on seating rings. My method is if you cant get it to a tuner drive it like you stole it. hard acceleration in gears 2 3 4 and engine break take it to a few different RPMs this creates vacume to seal it. This should be done for about 20 miles. thats my method. Josh has another patrick probably has another too. Your rings may not be in right

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Lol yeah the great debate of "how to break in an engine" is one that has 20 different answers. I used to be one of those that believed in 2000 miles before getting on it hard, but as my knowledge grew so did my opinion on that. A new motor still shouldn't be burning oil. Hell my wifes 70+k mile K20 doesn't burn oil...

djv1986

I have the factory Honda service manual and I installed each individual ring just like the service manual calls for. I was told cast iron rings break in immediately and chrome rings could take up to thousand miles. I had the car idleing for an hr then let it cool down the next day fired it for an hour and cooled down then fired it up and drove a block and came home all under 3000rpm I got it on the road the next day and drove it pretty hard but I let it warm up to operating temp before even going half throttle

jsoto1785

Sounds like a damaged oil ring when installing ive seen it before wont show on a compression test either. Try leak down least then you narrow it down to which cylinder it is. Are you smoking? Does it happen during accel or decel if so? Make sure the motor is dry everywhere.

ALL M0T0R

DDTECHCAMS.COM
Most vtec motors will burn some oil, not really noticeable when broken in correctly, all motors do burn and use some oil, its to lubericate the cyl walls, but actually blowing blue smoke or burning it to where its actually disappearing is two different things.

Breaking a motor in correctly requires 10 mins and a coast down in gear.. All you're doing is seating rings, as nerk has said.. after the car is fully warmed up, normal driving accompanied by a idle to redline pull and then a coast down in a gear and your done.

There's a certain norm for using oil, all vtec motors burn some oil though, but as much as you're losing it sounds like you have a leak.. do you notice any smoke @ wot?? if so, what color..and how much.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Tiny ammounts oil, maybe....quarts of oil on a new motor=problem. Local kid had a "built" motor that you would've sworn had a diesle swap thats how bad it smoked, he broke it in by driving it hard untuned...

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Lol yeah man, no one in my town seems to understand what a tune is or does. They all want to build all motor cars or slap a turbo no a car and run 8psi untuned because some guy on honda-tech told them it was safe to do lol.

djv1986

I figured it out it was the breakin oil wasn't suppssed to be drivin on. Changed the oil and now have 2500 miles on the engine since got is running and only had to add one quart since. But my driving style and habits are keeping the skinny pedal down

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e2ulkp