Brian Crower Stage 2 cams

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
The info i've read on these says these are literally drop in and work w/ stock valvetrain. So would someone still need a tune and adjustable cam gears?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
it looks like those are for an ls and not a gsr but the ls ones also need valve springs brian crower stage 2 cams need dual valve springs

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i mean try to run them with stock valve springs....no one says you cant. That description looks like their old Stage 1 cam anyways.

mirrorimg

And you wont be able to extract all of the power the cams can put out without adjustable cam gears and a tune.

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
ight, thanks guys, i wasn't trying to like be a dick and argue or anything, was just kind of lost when it said they were a straight drop in application w/ good power gains, too good to be true. lol

mirrorimg

Well the thing is, higher lift, higher duration cams put more strain on the stock valve train, i.e. valve springs and retainers. You dont want those valve springs not being able to keep up with the cams compressing them/them uncompressing, and causing valve float.

j13

Keep It Clean
Is there a very noticable difference of these stage 2 cams, without adjustable cam gears and a tune?

jznsn2u

Is there a very noticable difference of these stage 2 cams, without adjustable cam gears and a tune?
it probably wont idle smooth. and it might have that v8 muscle sound when the a/f isn't balanced and it sounds beastly, depending on what lobe size's you go with.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
YES. You can use them with stock valvetrain if you keep the stock redline. Will you be maximizing the cams' power potential? No.

YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED A TUNE!!!!

it probably wont idle smooth. and it might have that v8 muscle sound when the a/f isn't balanced and it sounds beastly, depending on what lobe size's you go with.
The stage 2 NA cams have a factory idle grind, but the VTEC lobes are bigger and you WILL run lean while in VTEC with these cams.

Cam gears adjust the power band.

These cams can make power upwards of 9500 RPM's, so upgraded valvetrain and a good tune are essential to making them work properly.

Last edited: