broken bolt, need help

Dtackett

ok so a while back i broke the bolt head off of one of the 10mm bolts on my water pump, its the top left bolt the one that goes under the cover.

i have bolt extractors but the issue is the space. i dont have enough room there to do anything and i cant remove the full motor mount due to one of the bolt heads being stripped and no room for anything. so how do i use bolt extractors in such a confined area? this car has to be fixed, if i cant get in there what can i do as a temporary fix to keep it sealed for a few weeks? can i use gasket maker to keep it sealed up and not be leaking a ton of water? i live in florida and i cannot have my car leaking and overheating and dumping water on my 45 min drive to work

BADFISH

jiosefM;omSkf;ejfoij:OSId
Where is the bolt broke? Can you remove the water pump and see part of the shaft? If so, try tack welding a old socket or something you can get a ratchet on to the bolt... Actually try it with both the striped and broke bolt. If that wont work you will have to remove the engine mount some how... plasma cutter or oxy acetylene torch.

Dtackett

2 issues with that, the bolt isnt flush, its about halfway into the block and i dont have a welder lol or plasma cutter or the torch lol i feel like a broke dirt bag lol

anyways the car has to be on the road tomorrow. can i used jb weld or gasket maker to seal up the whole edge of waterpump would that work? even if its just for a little while

LittleB10

jb weld is the shit! and will be good for a temp fix. i know most people would not recommend it and tell ya to get the bolt out but it will do the job for a long time even though i'm sure you'll fix it soon. i have jb weld holding in one of my camshaft holders (i3 to be exact) in place til i take it all apart again and send it to the machine shop in 2 weeks. 1000 miles later its still working like a charm and i have no worries. stupid me snap both bolts on the holder lol. so i say use to fix and dont worry about it, but fix it when ya can. good luck man!

Dtackett

ok i know that jb weld is used to somewhat poor mans weld metal together but you do know that now your going to have to replace your camshaft sense those are so sensitive to the amount of tq that they are supposed to have on them, and now the pressure is uneven so your camshaft is warped.

i would never use jb weld for something like that. not for a camshaft, goto ace and get new bolts, and in an area like that its an easy removal where as i have no more then 3 inches.

hondabond is just honda specific gasket maker right?

Dtackett

what engine mounts would i have to remove in order to tilt the engine enough to gain access? if i could get away with the front and driverside and disconnect the header and have enough room then i could do that in a day and remove the bolt, but if not then i dont know i may have to take it to a shop.

anyone know how much a shop would charge to remove the bolt? even if i told them just to drill through the wheel well?

LittleB10

haha i knew i would catch shit for saying something about it. well in 2 weeks ill give u an update and we'll see how "warped" my camshaft is. I highly doubt it is warped because of one holder not being torqued down all the way. but whatever the car runs great and i have no issues so far. but good luck to ya!

WAR 178

Premium User
what engine mounts would i have to remove in order to tilt the engine enough to gain access? if i could get away with the front and driverside and disconnect the header and have enough room then i could do that in a day and remove the bolt, but if not then i dont know i may have to take it to a shop.

anyone know how much a shop would charge to remove the bolt? even if i told them just to drill through the wheel well?
maybe $100...
maybe try the irwin set at auto zone? has bits to remove stripped bolts and whatnot. maybe you can remove the pump and tap one of those onto the snapped bolt, then use a small ratchet wrench on the bit and possibly back the stud out. those bits get a good bite pretty well and might do the job...worth the $20
g/l

Dtackett

but it should only run about 100 bucks for them to remove the bolt? because its causing enough problems and with work i cant afford it. im half tempted to sell this car, i love my car but i dont have the time to put the work in she deserves