broken spark plug

codeblue

Recently received a 1993 Integra 2door hatch, 1.7liter engine and I believe it's a GS. Previous owner was meticulous with maintenance as his records shows, until he stopped using the car in 2009. Immediately I did a synthetic oil change, air filter replacement, premium gas only and spark plug replacement. That's. When my problem started. Starting from the right (facing the engine) I was able to replace #1, #2, #4 and #3 seized with no chance of moving loose. Even after prelubing with PB Blaster, it won't budge. After minutes of trying the unthinkable happened. The plug first broke by the ceramic portion followed by a second break at the nut. Leaving behind the thread and external electrode stuck. My heart fell followed by mutiple cussing and stomping, after composing myself I researched something called a screw extractor. With a little more patience than I started with and a whole lot of prayer and some help from a friend the broken piece came loose with no damage to the engine. Got her started and now it's time to tackle the leaky windshield gasket and a few more things off my list.

Last edited:

ryukkid

beep beep
Well good thing you got it out.I also think you have a gsr look at you engine block and see if it says b17

mirrorimg

Fingers crossed that nothing fell into the combustion chamber and did any damage once you started it up.

Good job getting it out without any damage.

codeblue

I'll look at the engine again to see if it has the 1.7L markings. The previous owner claims its a GSR and looking at all the maintenance records that also states 1.7L GSR.

As for the spark plug, I was very lucky in getting the broken piece off without damaging the engine. I did use a magnetic wand to pick up any strip pieces.

Here's the link to the website that gave me instructions in removing the broken spark plug... http://tigraionline.com/broken_sparkplug.html

I hope it helps anyone else who encounters this problem. My friend who help me remove the plug insisted on using SnapOn brand screw extractor. He's afraid that any other brand might break and that'll be an expensive work afterwards.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
You my friend have my dream car. A 1993 gsr, the most beautiful car honda/acura ever made. Take good care of it, as I'll be watching your progress. I hope you haven't done any permanent damage to your motor. Take care of that rare gem you have.