Broken Torsion Bar

doug180

Hi , The darndest thing happened . A torsion bar broke, while parked. The car sat for a couple years and I now am trying to get it back on the road. I tryed all sorts of ways to get the torsion bar assembly apart, finally I unbolted the lower arm, put a 4x6 against the back tires and a cardinal post (adjustable lolly collum) to push the torsion bar out the front . I figure it took about 2 tons to blow the whole assembly out the front, as the 4x6 is now the shape of a U. the bar was snaped at the front , and the front part of the rod is now part of the lower arm, in a large clump of rust. Even if I was able to press the bar out theres not enough of the lower arm left to use. I figure this happened cause the front bushing was compromised allowing water in with no way out. plus no grease inside? Now the problem is I got a new torsion bar but the lower arm is discontinued. I was hoping someone might have a parts car and would be willing to sell me one? Please help, I'm In the northeast so theres not many left around here.
Thanks, Doug

Last edited: