Bubbles in brake lines, warped rotors oh my!

maq

I changed my rear brake pads and rotors last week. They were long over due. After about two hours of trying to get the piston to go back into the caliper i took the brake line off to try and cheat. Still wouldn't work. Eventually read you have to rotate the piston back into place. Did that and pads fit right over the rotors no problem.

Bleed the brakes and for a few bubbles out and then went for the drive and my brakes were very soft. Came back and bleed them again, no change.

On saturday I was driving along on the highway doing about 75 and the car started shaking. Seemed to get worse the faster i drove. Got to where i was going and checked the wheels, thought i might have a loose lug nut somewhere. All of them were fine.

Coming back later that light it did the same thing but only once i had driven about 30 miles. Next day i got on the highway and when i got back off and went to slow down it felt like my front rotors were warped something fierce. So now i'm thinking great. Warped rotors, air in brake lines and or busted booster.

I haven't looked at the front brakes yet and wont have time too until tomorrow. I bleed them in the crisscross pattern that the honda manual says to do and bleed each brake for about 20-30 pumps of the brakes.

Last edited:

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
is the shaking in the steering wheel?

maq

You need somebody else to pump the brakes while you bleed them, have the rotors resurfaced
I had somebody pumping the brakes while i bleed them. Pumped them a few times then held them and i opened the nipple. I made sure i had plenty of fluid in the reservoir in-between bleeding.

It doesn't shake all the time tho is what confuses me. I just replaced pads and disks on my sister's eclipse and it should shake if you were going over 35.

It also seems like my front driver side caliper is gripping a little to hard. It was smoking after i got off the highway. I was wondering if some how more pressure is going to that one than the others but i don't see how thats possible.

is the shaking in the steering wheel?
Not really, just the car. I don't let it do it for long, don't want to spin out of blow something up.

if the shaking is in the seat its the rears.. shaking in the wheel its the fronts..

it is possible u have a caliper that is siezing.. but more like a warped rotor... if the rotors are new just return them for new ones..

gravity bleed is PERFECT for doing brakes.. but it takes a while to do right.

maq

if the shaking is in the seat its the rears.. shaking in the wheel its the fronts..

it is possible u have a caliper that is siezing.. but more like a warped rotor... if the rotors are new just return them for new ones..

gravity bleed is PERFECT for doing brakes.. but it takes a while to do right.
It's defiantly the fronts. The steering wheel shakes a little but my dash might as well fall off it shakes so hard.

How do you gravity bleed the brakes? I may know what it is but not by that name.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
just to rule out the rear brakes, slow the car with the e brake and see if theres shaking.

Brakes = noun
Breaks = verb
Brakes can also be a verb, and breaks can be a noun as well.
Examples:
The Integra brakes before the apex of the turn and accelerates out.
The swells were good today, and so was the right break. (in regards to a wave)

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Alright, this sounds like you have a bad proportioning valve/caliper. Firstly do yourself a favor and purchase a self-bleeded. This self-bleeder has a hose that attaches to the nipple and not only does it save you time but it also helps you save brake fluid. As for gravity bleed make sure you fill the res FULL and OPEN all the nipples and let the brake fluid leak out slowly for about 30 minutes to an hour to really get it down. Normally You would do just one at time for 5 minutes or all for 20 at same time.

You said your car is shaking, I dont' think i seen you said it did it when you were braking so check your cv axle. Did you put a one way tire on teh wrong side, when a rotation tire is on backwards after being on one way so long, not only is traction lost but the car will shake...

If its shaking when your braking you have warp rotors for sure, but you said one caliper was gripping too hard so you probably warpped it yourself. You probably have too much air in one side that it isn't doing the other side justice.

There is another way to bleed brakes, take the nipples off the res side and bleed each one that way. It may have air sitting at the time unfortunately you know?

maq

My front rotors were warped. Got them turned and no more shaking. Still have spongy brakes. I just don't see how my master cylinder could go out just like that. It's never given me problems in the past.