built turbo ls, what happened?

mcplayer21

ok i have a built turbo ls consisting of a fully built block and semi built head car has no leaks and doesnt burn a drop of oil. i went to the track to race my cousin i did a pull and then next thing i notice is what looks like rain is hitting my windshield but it was coolant.When i popped the hood the radiator was bent and leaking all of the fluid got a new one on the spot but when i started my car back it sounded like an sti(guess its on 3 cylinders) and drove completely horrible.Popped the hood again and it looks like coolant was spitting between head and block, now would a blown headgasket cause my car to run that bad and cause me to run super rich(idling at 10.0 wideband). what could of caused this to happen? sorry for this long post just a little nervous since motor only has about 500 miles built and cant afford another cracked sleeve

Rich-PMS

this isn't b20, dont bump your thread about your mishaps.

yes a blown head gasket will cause those problems.

who build your motor?

who tuned it?

Prozon

Kris
Here's a list of questions for you.

So you replaced your head gasket 500 miles ago? What does the "built" block consist of? Were the sleeves replaced? The stock sleeves really should be good to 500hp in a B18. Are you running ARP head studs or an aftermarket head gasket? How much power is your setup making? How much boost are you running? Was it tuned properly?

It seems odd that coolant would come from between the head and block unless you cracked something. Was this the first time you did any pulls with the turbo?

(The symptoms seem correct for a head gasket, but it just seems odd to me coolant would come out like that. And yes, a blown head gasket could cause your radiator to crack, however I can't say I have ever seen one "bend."

mcplayer21

yes this is a brand new cometic headgasket and the block has cp pistons, eagle rods, micropolished crank, acl bearings, arp rod bolts and main studs, and the sleeves are bored over 20 everything is blueprinted. the car is tuned on low boost makinng 300 was going to go for more till this happened and it has arp head studs and no this isnt first pull with the turbo its just wierd that this happened when the car was fine

mcplayer21

lol your not lying my cars been perfect for a year and a half no problems whatsoever, ever since i did work to it its just been random things failing left and right

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
yes this is a brand new cometic headgasket and the block has cp pistons, eagle rods, micropolished crank, acl bearings, arp rod bolts and main studs, and the sleeves are bored over 20 everything is blueprinted. the car is tuned on low boost makinng 300 was going to go for more till this happened and it has arp head studs and no this isnt first pull with the turbo its just wierd that this happened when the car was fine

Highlighted your problem. Do not ever use Cometic headgaskets, they are total s***. I had to replace mine due to it leaking in the corners between head and block. Pick up an oem one (they sell oversized up to 81.5mm or get a Golden Eagle one (oem that they bore out) Do a quick search on yahoo of: cometic headgasket failure honda, and read the horror stories. Best way to figure out whats wrong is to tear it apart and pray for the best (blown headgasket), but prepare for worsr (cracked sleeve)

What was your AFR under boost at WOT?

mcplayer21

thanks for the help guys but took head off motor to just get a nice view of a perfectly nice crack going all the way down the sleeve -_-..back to building another motor for boost with sleeves this time lol..

David.95LS

Delwarian
a buddy of mine had the same problem with the first pass of this season, sleeve cracked, and boost forced all the coolent/oil into everything, expanded his radiator, and blew everything out of his catch can. He has had the car forever and went through many sleeved blocks so he is just gonna throw it back together with another gsr block and turn the boost down, and get it tagged for street.

but another block will suffice, and maybe no bore just a hone and some new pistons. stock honda sleeves are already a weak point (unless properly tuned blah blah blah) but how much boost are you running/turbo specs?