Bump Steer

LowSlowDC2

New to this game
I have a problem, the only way i can word it is bump steer. ever since i got the car ive had this problem. exactly how it sounds. if im driving my car on a smooth road, i have no problems or pulls. but if the road is uneven or crack badly itll pull pretty good. whats causing this?

bkirshr

User that is Registered
physics..haha not to be a douche, but thats what it is. it's like a golf ball on a putting green, if it's slanted, the ball will always want to roll down the hill, thats why you have to aim away from the cup to make the putt. groovy pavement will want to keep the tires in the groove, so it may want to pull whichever way the groove goes. kind of like the old remote control cars that had the pin that went into the slot on the track, then electricity flowing made it go, and the groove is what would steer the car around the track

My car tends to pull left when i accelerate, and pull to the right when i brake. hopefully that goes away when i put my new brakes on.

johnnymass

My car tends to pull left when i accelerate, and pull to the right when i brake. hopefully that goes away when i put my new brakes on.
That's quite possibly and alignment issue. New brakes may not fix the pull.

As for the op, bump steer is the steering knuckle being forced to rotate any direction other than the path intended by the driver as the suspension compresses or expands. It is usually a design flaw.
Integra suspensions don't have this flaw in oem form. You'll need to look at everything suspension related- tires, rims, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, control arms, etc- to figure out if the problems you experienced are just road induced or actual suspension problems.
An alignment check may lead you in the right direction fastest if many parts are worn.

Post up some pictures if you are unsure about the condition of your components

LowSlowDC2

New to this game
That's quite possibly and alignment issue. New brakes may not fix the pull.

As for the op, bump steer is the steering knuckle being forced to rotate any direction other than the path intended by the driver as the suspension compresses or expands. It is usually a design flaw.
Integra suspensions don't have this flaw in oem form. You'll need to look at everything suspension related- tires, rims, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, control arms, etc- to figure out if the problems you experienced are just road induced or actual suspension problems.
An alignment check may lead you in the right direction fastest if many parts are worn.

Post up some pictures if you are unsure about the condition of your components
Sorry, i was in a rush last night. hahaha the gf was on my ass about watching a movie with her. so i left some stuff out of my post, I already physicly looked at my bushings, and tie rods.checked to see if i had play in my wheel bearing and even took it to my local sears to see if they could find fault and they threw it on the aling ment machine to see whats up. now everything was in spec but it was quite odd really. This was months ago so i dont remeber exact specs but it was all with in specs. but my caster was goofy..in spec but just...odd to me. the camber on the driver side would be .2 and the caster .5 and then the camber on the passenger side was .5 and the caster .2 since then i lowered the car with aftermarket control arms and it has yet to be back on the rack and it has yet to be aligned. They said they had no idea why it was doing what it was doing. i hon estly dont notice it as much some does, and others it pulls pretty good.(same roads). i dont get it. very strange to me. i bought new lower control arm bushings (prothanes). Havnt had a chance to put them on yet. But seeing if anyone had an idea. especialy with camber/caster deal. its just odd the the camber on one side matchs the caseter on the other. thanks guys