burning oil... lots

djm092

i have a 2000 gsr with 89k on it. recently the maintenance light came on. (not the check engine light) and its been burning almost 1.5 quarts every 1000 miles. ive noticed a solid amount of smoke when its cold.

any ideas? im assuming its something in the head because i know its not leaking. sparkplugs are new too, just putting that out there.

thanks for the help

djm092

i didnt see the color my friend just told me.

mirrorimg

Compression test will show how healthy the compression rings are on the pistons. It in no what shows the health of the oil control rings.

It could be your oil control rings on the pistons, the valve seals in the head, or both.

Leakdown test will help you narrow it down, depending on where you hear air escaping.

Prozon

Kris
Hahah. Pull apart the whole motor just to put in ONE piston ring.
I"m sure the others are fine. :p

But yes, leak down test to see what exactly the problem is. THEN A REBUILD?!?!

Whiteman51x

i had the same problem, and i literally just got done tearing my engine apart to find this issue

the guy i bought this car from told me that it was rebuilt 60k ago, <--- guy was full of crap

i tore it down to find that all my piston rings had excessive end gaps in them and one of my oil control rings was sticking a little bit, the rings were just really worn out

both compression and leakdown checked out fine for me fyi, right in spec

there are 3 causes for oil consumption these motors:

-the pcv system
-the valve seals
-the oil rings on your pison

check them in that rder

(i relaced my pcv no luck, did my valve seals, helped but still no luck....... so here i sit)

Prozon

Kris
I think you must have done a compression test wrong? Lol. If the piston rings ARE bad, it would have come up in the compression test.. unless your cylinder was full of oil lol.

What were the results of your leak down / compression test?

Whiteman51x

I think you must have done a compression test wrong? Lol. If the piston rings ARE bad, it would have come up in the compression test.. unless your cylinder was full of oil lol.

What were the results of your leak down / compression test?
im a toyota mechanic......

and a COMPRESSION TEST WILL TELL YOU NOTHING ABOUT AN OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE, why does everyone think this?

if i remember correctly, i got between 210-215 psi for each cylinder, WOT and with a charged battery
i tore my car apart because of an oil comsumption issue, it was burning oil in higher rpm's

the compression rings were a little worn, but still ok to run the car, the car ran great, no noises or issues and 7700 revved daily (to my surprise i had a scored crank and bearings were worn out/scarred)

and i said an oil ring was sticking, and i never said my rings were "BAD" i said they had larger then spec ring end gaps and were a little worn out, especially the oil rings, not that they were cracked or missing

this engine was never opened up and has 180k on it, still has the honda colored bearings in it.

it was engine wear and tear that was causing my issue, also, my valve seals being replaced fixed 50% of my burning issues

Prozon

Kris
A leak down test should have told you the valve seals were bad, you said the test was in spec? Well did it tell you or did you inspect it on your own.

And FYI, you shouldn't be revving your car to 7700 daily... maybe the engine was rebuilt 60k ago and you just killed it revving it to almost 8 grand daily for 60,000 miles.

Last edited: