Burnt out HID

Joshmmc

One of my HID's burnt out a little while ago, and I want to replace it today. The previous owner installed the HID's though. I've never done them before, so I don't know what I need to do. Can I just buy the bulbs? I assume it makes most sense to just replace both of them since the other one is probably due to go soon. Is it a possiblity though that the ballast is responsible for one of the bulbs not working, or is it most likely to just be a bulb? Can I buy the bulbs at Autozone or wherever? How much are they?

Thanks!

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
No you cannot buy bulbs from Auto Zone unless they carry HID kits... which i don't think they do, but it could be your ballast or your bulb, what i would suggest is swapping the bulbs and see if its the bulb or ballast.

You can order replacements online, but when it comes to kits you're better off buying a new kit, cause they charge too much for replacement bulbs/ballasts. if you go to DDMtuning.com you can get kits there for like $40 plus shipping, I'm running their ballasts at the moment for my retrofit, and everyone i know using them have had no issues

jznsn2u

No you cannot buy bulbs from Auto Zone unless they carry HID kits... which i don't think they do, but it could be your ballast or your bulb, what i would suggest is swapping the bulbs and see if its the bulb or ballast.

You can order replacements online, but when it comes to kits you're better off buying a new kit, cause they charge too much for replacement bulbs/ballasts. if you go to DDMtuning.com you can get kits there for like $40 plus shipping, I'm running their ballasts at the moment for my retrofit, and everyone i know using them have had no issues
x2 this happened to me too, you're better off buying a new kit.

mistro

I would try to take the 'burnt' bulb out. you can then take a closer look at the bulb itself and then damage should be evident. Be careful as its components are toxic try not to break it. I heard they are pretty expensive and doubt most autoparts stores would carry them. Ebay seem to sell them for very, very cheap. As always, look for signs of scam such as the seller's reputation. Good Luck!

also hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_WkV8sEjU

Ermworld

M to the E
This happened to me not so long ago. For sure take your good bulb and install it in the burn bulbs place to see if its a bulb thats bad or the ballast. If its just the bulb you can buy single ones off the internet or try to find someone local. I live in Regina, Canada and found a local who sold kits and bulbs. They were like $65 for two bulbs. Hope this helps.