CAI hydrolock question

cHuBByCU

has anyone have anything problems with water getting sucked into their cai? like on rainy days or running over puddles. just wondering.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
i dont have an intake yet, i didnt think i needed it til i did some internal work to my engine, but im planning on getting a cold air, and cut the pipe right where a short ram filter would be and then hold the two pieces together with the normal couplings. that way, if it rains, i can just take out the lower piping and put the filter on the "short piping". and Viola! youve got a short ram keeping your filter away from the water

steve98ex

well i don't have an integra i have a civic, so i'm not sure how well the filter would be shielded on your car. but on my car its not a problem at all. if you're worried about it though just get an AEM bypass valve for it, that way if the filter gets wet it'll just switch to the bypass valve for air.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
the bypass valve isnt always closed when the filter isnt in water, so some air gets pulled from it, creating less velocity for the air. if you dont want velocity in your air, then dont get a cold air.

the idea i said two posts up will work for any cold air intake system

DownShift96GSR

Ah yes the whole water in your intake deal. Yeah it will definently suck for water to get up in your shit, but what I've heard from people is that water isn't gonna get sucked into your engin unless your filter is like sitting in a puddle some how. Most of the time water will splash onto your filter but will usually evaporate before it can cause damage. Thats just what I hear. I don't really worry bout cuz my filter is blocked by my splash guard. But Eviloliv does have a good idea.

hyper98gsr

worst case: air(low density) is way easier to compress than water(great density). if you get enough water in your combustion chamber it will be like your pistons compressing a handful of pennies. you picture it.

i dont have a cold air. here in colorado we have freak rainstorms and the drainage sucks. it just isn't worth it.
but sucking water into your motor isn't as easy as people make it seem. you pretty much have to have your filter completely submerged and go through a full 4 stroke phases at open throttle to even get the water up there.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
water will get sucked into your cylinders and cause your motor to stall. problems happen when people try to start their car up after they suck up water. that makes it so the engine tries to compress water, which doesnt compress, in turn bending/snapping rods, etc. what you have to do is take out your spark plugs and then crank the motor over, so that water has somewhere to go

DownShift96GSR

Eviloliv3 said:
water will get sucked into your cylinders and cause your motor to stall. problems happen when people try to start their car up after they suck up water. that makes it so the engine tries to compress water, which doesnt compress, in turn bending/snapping rods, etc. what you have to do is take out your spark plugs and then crank the motor over, so that water has somewhere to go
Nice info. Now I know what to do if that ever happens and I know what to tell people.

jdmgsr04

cai is good thing for horspower gains but it sucks on rainy days because the air filter sucks up the water and shit my homeboi has a Celica GT-S with Injen CAI he has to put a walmart plastic bag around it and my other homeboi use to have cai on his EX but now he went with the short ram because it was too much for a hassel so in my opinon i go with a AEM V-2 or a short ram intake but the AEM V-2 adds alot of hp gains like crazy

cHuBByCU

damn v2 is too much for me right now. got no money. i got a short ram on but was looking for an upgrade.

cHuBByCU

i was wondering if the injen cold air extension will fit the aem short ram. anyone know? i guess it's probally universal

zmaxprobe

I know a guy who seized his motor twice by sucking to much water into the motor. So it is not worth it when it rains take the time to take your cai off or swap for a short ram. Anyways which CAI gives you the most gains on an all motor vechile.

99gsr_

Comptech Icebox

I just bought a Comptech short ram and I'm planning on fitting it with an Icebox later on when I save up the $160. From what I can tell the Icebox does basically the same thing as the Mugen intake minus the $650 price tag. Which is that it encloses the filter element inside an airbox that draws cold air through a 2 inch tube from behind the turn signal. I'm wondering if there is any significant advantage to this over a regular CAI. Also wondering about the likelihood of sucking water up with an Icebox fitted.

Thanks.