Cam break in fail. Looking for opinions.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
My machinist has a machine that can resurface camshafts. I check your local machinist how much they charge to see if it's worth it to get it re surface or just to buy another set of cams.
Planning on just buying another set, but I might look into that. Thanks..

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
What you going to buy?
Well, looking at a set of comp cams (57200) with 1000 miles on them, and Gurley just sent me a lead on some Brian Crower stage 2s. Since I already have 2 things I want from you, I'm looking at used cams. As long as the miles are low, I'm ok with used cams...for one thing i can avoid breaking them in, lol...

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist if I see any decent sets!

natt2000

the head couldve been starved of oil for longer than the 10 seconds of trying to start. your problem is most definatley lack of lubrication.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Before I applied cam lube, I disconnected fuel pump and cranked till I had oil squirting on all lobes... Do you still think I starved it? Not trying to be difficult...lol, but I really did try to cover my bases!

Prozon

Kris
I find it hard to believe that it was oil starvation. Looks like a bad cam to me. Ten seconds isn't enough time to burn up a cam that bad, unless you are completely not getting oil up there now- I don't think that's the issue.

I also don't think it was a tune. How could a tune even do that? Lol.

My guess is that either your cam was bad, or for some reason your valves are pretty damn stuck, lol.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
My conclusions exactly. The tune questions were just antagonistic, lol... I'm curious what the machine shop says about my head.

natt2000

well if your positive you didnt lose oil pressure to the head while running, then its gotta be something else. the weird thing is even the journals got marred. look at those cam journals. and the only explination for scarring of the cam during the 0 lift portion of the duration would be improper valve clearance, or a bad cam. although i dont know how a cam would be "bad". what did you set your valve clearances to? they couldve shifted once the motor got hot, or you may not have tensioned the jam nut correcto the proper tension.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
.008 exh and .007 int. Not tensioning jam nut correctly is possible, as I do it by feel, but I've been doing it this way since i got the car and double check when I'm done.