cam seal question

OlegWasHere

i know this is going to sound dumb but.
can a cam seal cause your car to over heat?

ive replaced all my hoses in the past month next step is the 80 dollar ones.
but my car was fine for about two weeks and then it just over heated again.
my radiator took a good chunk of water to fill it up
(this is just for now since im at work and dont want to waste the antifreeze since i know its going to leak out)

around where the seal is theres green waterish looking drops (on the block)witch i can assume that its antifreeze.

my radiator somehow magically loses antifreeze
my oil isnt milky but my exhaust has that sweet smell
but besides the drip from the cam seal there is no sign its that.
ive had my cooling system pressure checked and its all good.

whats next?
besides replacing the cam seal.
im doing that tomorrow

Kinta94

it would not cause it to over heat. It only is near oil and for it to really be a problem you would have serious amounts of oil and it would have nothing to do with coolant since it doesn't even touch coolant only oil.

OlegWasHere

hmm thats what i thought
every time i wash it off more oil drips but ill check it and the dipstick is fine with the right amount no lights on the dash for oil either

do you think i would benefit from the mishimoto hoses? my fan works.
but when i touched the hoses they were both hot

i took of the rad cap with my hands it blasted off but the cap itself wasn't hot.
im kind of lost because be sides the radiator ive pretty much replaced everything and not the heater core but the inside of my car is spotless.

Kinta94

probably a head gasket issue. That sounds like exactly what it is.

OlegWasHere

would a head gasket cause hoses to become loose ?
my oil is squeaky clean.
i took it to a honda mechanic and he doesn't think its my head gasket or my water pump.

last summer it overheated for 3 days straight only drove it to work and then took it to a mechanic he couldnt make it over heat.
they did a pressure check all good.
didnt happen again until feb. then every other week it would over heat with lack of antifreeze..

Prozon

Kris
So it's overheating because of your coolant loss, but you can't find any coolant leaks?

OlegWasHere

So it's overheating because of your coolant loss, but you can't find any coolant leaks?
exactly

have done multiple pressure checks.
all came out clean

like i said i put straight water to fill up my radiator until i getr home at 7 am

(mind you that my resivor tank is still filled with antifreeze to what its supposed to be )

it hasn't over heated again and ive been running for about an hour and a half now.

edit:by the way to the headgasket theroy. can it be possible to have a puncture in it?
like i said my oul is clean
exhaust does smell a little sweet but not alot
and it doesnt blow white smoke like it would if it was a headgasket.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Hell man, I don't know. Maybe the gasket is starting to go? Burning the coolant but not mixing it with the oil?

Prozon

Kris
I just called up my Dad to ask him lol.
He says pull the radiator cap off and see if the radiator bubbles. A crack or bad head gasket could cause it.

OlegWasHere

I just called up my Dad to ask him lol.
He says pull the radiator cap off and see if the radiator bubbles. A crack or bad head gasket could cause it.
does he mean if the coolant boils out?

it has before (we thought it was the thermostat)
i blew 2 hoses because i had to drive 10 miles to get it to the garage. but i kept adding water
swapped out the thermostat and the old one was fine
i havent tried lately though

but like i said today fan was working both the top and bottom radiator hoses were hot

theyre both hot now too.
my fan isnt on but the temp is where its supposed to be.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
if its not coolant leaks, thermostat or water pump, then it might be the fan not turning on when its supposed to

OlegWasHere

if its not coolant leaks, thermostat or water pump, then it might be the fan not turning on when its supposed to
this is why i asked about the cam seal.
the only green anything i found is where the oil leaks out onto the block where the engine stamp is there is small traces of a green antifreeze looking substance.

changed out with a new thermostat not even a month ago.

can a water pump go in and out?

i also take into consideration that my car has only over heated in warm weather and above.
60+degrees

endo i live in springfield and all winter i have had no problems.

i didnt think this would effect anything but i dont have an ac belt?

edit: about my fan thats what one mechanic told me but everytime i checked when it started to over heat the fan was on.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
this is why i asked about the cam seal.
the only green anything i found is where the oil leaks out onto the block where the engine stamp is there is small traces of a green antifreeze looking substance.

changed out with a new thermostat not even a month ago.

can a water pump go in and out?

i also take into consideration that my car has only over heated in warm weather and above.
60+degrees

endo i live in springfield and all winter i have had no problems.

i didnt think this would effect anything but i dont have an ac belt?
hey if your willing to drive to the boston area i can take a look at it, and if you need anything fixed im flexible on prices