Cam Seal Replacement

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Okay I have a cam seal leakage and bought a new OEM. But being new to car repairs not comfortable with taking things apart worried I may cause more issues I've been putting it off. Reading up on the thread and write up on replacing the cam seal...my ? is do I need to buy a torque wrench to torque things back to spec or can I get away with just tighten things down with a regular wrench?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Im assuming you are talking about the cam seal cap located on the left side of the motor infront of the distributor. Its a black plastic cap. I suggest getting a gasket and some RTV sealent on from Honda or autozone, you are looking for a valve cover gasket kit. Since you are newer to cars this way will be easier for you to do and cover your mistakes
1. take off the valve cover the nuts are 10mm
2. take off the gasket and throw it away
3. get a flat head and pry off the plastic cap
4. place new cap in
5. clean the head surface off of oil and silicone
6. place silicone on the corners of the upside down U where the cams meet the head. there should be 8 spots of silicone
7. place gaskets on head, theres one for vc and 4 for spark plugs
8. place on and put groments on the studs
9. use a small socket or wrench to tighten, dont over tighten, you do not need a torque wrench

Cman46290

Im assuming you are talking about the cam seal cap located on the left side of the motor infront of the distributor. Its a black plastic cap. I suggest getting a gasket and some RTV sealent on from Honda or autozone, you are looking for a valve cover gasket kit. Since you are newer to cars this way will be easier for you to do and cover your mistakes
1. take off the valve cover the nuts are 10mm
2. take off the gasket and throw it away
3. get a flat head and pry off the plastic cap
4. place new cap in
5. clean the head surface off of oil and silicone
6. place silicone on the corners of the upside down U where the cams meet the head. there should be 8 spots of silicone
7. place gaskets on head, theres one for vc and 4 for spark plugs
8. place on and put groments on the studs
9. use a small socket or wrench to tighten, dont over tighten, you do not need a torque wrench
Pretty sure you missed one HUGE step.... taking off the CAM retainers on the front camshaft... to get the CAP out.... i had to remove all CAM retainers on the front CAM... and pop off the retainer sitting on top of the CAM seal.... then popped the cap out... and installed the new one. He can see my build thread for a better look at it.

-Corey

mirrorimg

The newer engines have a cam seal that pops in/ pops out. Older ones have a lip on the back that prevent this.

You really only need to remove the cam cap covering the seal. There is no reason to remove the others. I dont think a torque wrench is necessary for this. Simply tighten the bolts and nuts back down. Get them tight, then turn them another 1/4 to 1/3 of the way. Tighten the nuts on the valve cover to snug, maybe a little past that.

Are we talking about a B18C1, or B18B1?

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
I have a 94 LS (4door/Auto) B18B1.

Cman46290

The newer engines have a cam seal that pops in/ pops out. Older ones have a lip on the back that prevent this.

You really only need to remove the cam cap covering the seal. There is no reason to remove the others. I dont think a torque wrench is necessary for this. Simply tighten the bolts and nuts back down. Get them tight, then turn them another 1/4 to 1/3 of the way. Tighten the nuts on the valve cover to snug, maybe a little past that.

Are we talking about a B18C1, or B18B1?
ya mine had a lip on the back, there was no way to pry it out without removing the cam retainer...or put the new on in....

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Okay, thanks guys for the help as always...it's too cold right now so I wait til it gets a little warmer (which I doubt it will...I forgot I live in Minnesota (LOL). Anyway...I'm thinking about ordering a STR seal to replace it instead of the OEM seal I got so I'll see what I go with.

WAR 178

Premium User
ive been putting this task off as well due to wondering if I need to buy a torque wrench. I have a B18c and I have changed my valve cover and gasket often(as I get creative with painting covers), but I wasnt sure on changing out the old cam seal for my skunk2 one without having a TW due to the fact that the bolts require diff values and that is my vtec head. The cover is one thing but any bolts internaly is another....Is it safe for me to just go with hand tight then torque down a percentage of a turn? Also for the head....what brand of Torque Wrench do you have/use?? how much did ya pay?
sorry if I jacked this thread in any way....

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
No apologies necessary for the thread, War, glad you're having the same situation (more info & help thats all)...I haven't bought a TW yet but Craftsman brand is what I was recommended to buy the one that I need is about $80 (cheapest) and can go up to like over $200 for fancy ones. But gotta be careful, I was told they come in inches and lbs (inches is the one I need) as far as for torquing don't want to buy the wrong one. I myself is uncomfortable with the task cause I'm new to the car repair stuff and with the requirements for each bolt I still haven't done it yet. But with the help of the guys on this thread I might just go ahead and do it without or maybe evening buy one cause I'm sure I will need it down the line. Here is the TW I'm looking at to buy.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944593000P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1294333324168

mirrorimg

That will be ok for small tasks, like torquing the valve cover nuts and cam cap bolts, but it is in Inch Pounds, not in Foot Pounds. It will be useless on larger jobs, like any major part of the car.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
True that Mirror...I guess I'll buy as I go or needed. Not like I have lots of money anyways. LOL. Maybe I can borrow a TW from someone or even rent one. Is there such a shop that rent one out?

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I got one from Harbor Freight for $20. Took it to school and verified how accurate it was with a digital Torque Wrench from I think it was, Snap-on, and it was right on. It went from 5lb-80lb and it was accurate all the way through. -Aaron