Can a bad icm cause car to start up with difficulty?

Excitable Kid

Today, it took like 6 tries to start up my car. When I left my driveway, my car lost power and shut off. It took another 2 tries to start up car. Trying to enter my driveway, my car shuts off again. Finally, I put my car into garage and turn off the vehicle. I try to start the car again and it doesn't start up anymore. It just cranks. Then I rage quit. The end. What just happened?

Last edited:

Excitable Kid

okie dokie. Thanks tamboo. I needed that link.

Checked my spark plugs. It was drenched in oil. Cylinder 3 was in a sea of oil. Spark plug gasket replaced along with valve cover. Spark plugs are fine and no need to be replaced. I bought new dizzy cap and rotor. Gonna check the internals and troubleshoot my ICM. Thanks, again.

Distributors are notorious for going out without any signs

Sounds like you know from experience. :D

Amiguel6

I do. I just sent my distributor to the place that replaced it last, and they are going to send me a new one :D

Excitable Kid

Well....it looks like it's fixed. My goodness. All I did was replace dizzy cap + rotor and voilà! It starts up normally and it didn't stall once. Tested it on the freeway and drove it for 40 minutes. It feels powerful. I didn't test the ICM because I got lazy. Thanks everyone for pinpointing problem to the dizzy.