Can a crack be fixed in a 98+ front bumper?

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
So I'm thinking about buying a front and rear bumper off a guy but the front has a crack. I'm wondering if you can fix a crack in one. It is circled in red below.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
it looks like you sanded the top? what did you use to sand it down? or did you just hit something..

99sil-teg

This isn't mine yet, looks like the guy hit something, not sure what really. All the grey is scuffs from what he hit.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
dam it, nevermind. I've got a front lip, and they bondo'd it, and scraped so much that theres 2 holes at the bottom of it, meh, oh well :)

JGvtec

If the crack is there i don't really think it should matter. Lets say you get a front lip, wont that cover it?

Edit: Never mind looks to be a big crack.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
my brother told me about something he called polyflex... its more flexible when cured than bondo.

99sil-teg

Well what I'd like to do is fix it and either sell it or keep it if it doesn't sell. I think I could probably sell it like it is which I might try. I'm just wondering if I can't sell it cracked is it fixable. Bondo is not an option because if/when the bumper flexes the bondo would crack.

Also I did just have a 98+ bumper but sold it... money always talks lol

XjoEnX

I can't tell from the pics but is it just a crack? Are there gaps between the crack?

Last edited:

93 "SCARLET" DA

ok...first of all dont use bondo or poly flex. those are not to fill in holes or cracks they are for slight dents and give you your shape before primer. for cracks go to an automotive paint store and the item you'll need is "fusor" its lit fusor 114 or something like that, or what ever one is for bonding plastics, it is a two component product that you put on the front with a mesh on the backside and spread it on just like bondo and sand it down when dry flip it over and do the same minus the mesh...

but the products to fix bumpers are normally too expensive for someone who isnt doing it every day you'd be looking at like 50 - 60 just for that one product. and then you have to repaint and blend out that panel.
it would be almost easier to get a new bumper or cover it with a lip or something

:twocents:

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
ok...first of all dont use bondo or poly flex. those are not to fill in holes or cracks they are for slight dents and give you your shape before primer. for cracks go to an automotive paint store and the item you'll need is "fusor" its lit fusor 114 or something like that, or what ever one is for bonding plastics, it is a two component product that you put on the front with a mesh on the backside and spread it on just like bondo and sand it down when dry flip it over and do the same minus the mesh...

but the products to fix bumpers are normally too expensive for someone who isnt doing it every day you'd be looking at like 50 - 60 just for that one product. and then you have to repaint and blend out that panel.
it would be almost easier to get a new bumper or cover it with a lip or something

:twocents:
Very good info man. Kudos.

Sent from my EVO with tapatalk.

99sil-teg

Very good info, I'm thinking I'll pick it up and maybe flip it. For the price I think I can make profit. If not I'll be learning me some body work. Around me 98+ front bumpers are bringing about 150 no matter the color. So lets just say even if I buy the bumper, spend money on products and throw some primer on it I think I'll still be able to make a little profit haha. If I do decide to fix it alteast now I know how to attack it.