Can I use this Type-r tranny

ghost1776

Respected Member!!
hey guys got a 98 GS-R. just wondering if i could replace my stock transmission with a type-r tranny?

Joshmmc

Yep, all B series transmissions are interchangable. I think the Type-R transmission has closer ratios than the GSR, but the final drive ratio depends on whether you have a USDM or JDM trans.

From Wiki:

The transmission gearing used was very similar to that of the civic Si from 1999–2000, which featured closer gear ratios in second through fifth gears, in order to take advantage of the additional rev range. However, the Type R transmissions featured stronger synchros in all 5 gears. The North American version retained the same 4.4 final drive throughout the Type-R's production run, unlike the Japanese version, which in 1998 changed to a 4.785 final drive along with revised gearing (However the 4th and 5th gear in the 4.785 transmission was from the GSR transmission, which made the ratios for 4th and 5th on the 4.75 nearly identical to the 4th and 5th gear in the 4.4 tranny, resulting in easier cruising at higher speeds). Unlike the other model Integras with a open differential, The Type R came with a torque-sensing limited slip type.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
I just put one in my 97 GSR. Make sure you get the R half shaft, starter and flywheel. They're lighter than the GSR's. Also, swap in your GSR's 5th gear unless you like cruising 4000 RPM at 70 MPH.

Don't get the 98+ JDM spec for your daily driver!

If you're doing this yourself, you'll need a tranny jack, a 10mm 12pt socket, a 17mm 12pt, a breaker bar and/or impact,a 32mm socket, some pry bars, a whole set of deep and shallow sockets, cotter pins, a 2-arm puller, silicon grease, axle grease, a punch (8mm if I remember correctly), as well as all the regular mechanics tools. I'm not sure if you need any special tools for swapping the 5th cuz I haven't done that yet.

And you'll need to know how to pop Honda ball joints w/out crushing the threads. PM me for that.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
you could also swap out the 5th gear with an LS if you're really concerned about cruising at high speeds.