can i wait on my timing belt ?

hardcoreufo

I have a 2001 Integra LS 2 Door with 75,000 miles on it. I think you get it changed at 90,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. So I'm 3 years over on time, but 15,000 miles short. Any thoughts?

.Cortez

94' LS
Don't risk it, I changed myin by myself, wasn't really that big of a deal if your at all automotively inclined?

b18b1integra

ya heres an idea when it breaks spend more money fixin shit that breaks and bends just replace it urself save alot of time and money get a greddy timing belt cost a lil more but hold up alot better

Surferman

My car is a 94 and i just changed it last year. They all have a timeline. get it done around 100K or less! Yes you will find cars with 180K and still not broke but your taking a huge risk!

jznsn2u

Don't risk it, I changed myin by myself, wasn't really that big of a deal if your at all automotively inclined?
My car is a 94 and i just changed it last year. They all have a timeline. get it done around 100K or less! Yes you will find cars with 180K and still not broke but your taking a huge risk!
What brands + how much did you guys spend on the timing belt? I think your contribution to the numbers + helpful tips, would help future viewers.

8-bit

do what now?
well you can go to o'riley's get your self a Gates timing belt "kit" cost you about 93.00 not includung the water pump.

1.7GS-R

Do not risk it you never know. My 1992 GS-R had 108,xxx on the stock timing belt when I replaced it. My ex girlfriends 1993 LS snapped a belt at 80,xxx and bent valves. My buddies 1995 LS snapped the stock Honda belt at 150,xxx at 80MPH and amazingly it did not bend any valves. I went with a gates timing belt kit. It came with a tensioner and detailed instructions. I also installed a Bosch water pump while I was in there.

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Don't trip. If the belt still looks good, then your fine. Just save up for a new timing belt and water pump, then change them when you can. You can get an OEM timing belt for around $60 and an OEM water pump for around $90-$100 I believe.

Gururu

Mine snapped at 110k at idle on a traffic light. Mechanic didnt see anything unusual and compression was fine.
Don't try to dodge this bullet. Change it asap.

rockadilla

thats right.
take a look at the belt, there are always telltale signs that its time to change it. look for cracks, marks, chips, etc. if ur belt looks nice and clean u can always wait a few months to change it. the belt in my moms civic had at about 125k miles now and still looked almost like new when i changed it. its always good to change it on time but its not like if u drive 90,001 miles or 1 day over 7 years its gonna automatically snap :roll:

but i would recomend doing it soon just so u can have the peace of mind

I hate crank pulley bolts.
ur effing telling me, it literally took me 3 days to get mine off cuz i couldnt get it off with a breaker bar and i had to eventually rent a 900 ft/lbs torque wrench to get it off :angryred: