Can someone tell me where my VTEC engages?

ImElvis

Sup yo'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqsbmSylZI

So that's the link up above, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out by listening and telling me if I have VTEC or not, and where it kicks in at. Someone also said checking my Solenoid? but then I heard if I mess it up, I'd never have VTEC again.. so I'll leave that for the end.
I'll make another video tomorrow, cause apparently redlining would show more of a difference.

chrisjames

chrisjames
i didnt hear your butterfly valve go off at 4500 or hear when it should have kicked in at 5000, but when im driving it doesn't seem to really hit untill around 6000. post another video please of you at WOT.

chrisjames

chrisjames
also is your engine cold or warmed up, mine only engages when my engine is at operating temp.

jznsn2u

vtec doesn't work in neutral dude .... and standard vtec kicks in @ 5800. Try it on 2nd gear, first gear isn't the best gear to try and hear it in a stock car. you don't have to redline it either, just go wot as soon as you it 2nd itll kick in after 5.8.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
vtec doesn't work in neutral dude .... and standard vtec kicks in @ 5800. Try it on 2nd gear, first gear isn't the best gear to try and hear it in a stock car. you don't have to redline it either, just go wot as soon as you it 2nd itll kick in after 5.8.
hm.. i'll record 2nd at WOT and post again.

jznsn2u

whoops i didn't notice my typo. - hit 2nd gear go wot, after 5.8 you'll here it. it's not all that balls out great on a stock car but yip yip horray you have vtec.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You have VTEC if your valve cover says DOHC VTEC on it. Valve covers that say DOHC VTEC don't fit on non-VTEC heads.

And VTEC doesn't activate at 5,800 - that when a GSR intake manifold's butterflies open. VTEC itself activates at 4,400 on a GSR. VTEC doesn't activate unless the engine is up to temp - it won't activate on a cold engine.
You can't hear VTEC activate on a bone stock GSR, it was designed that way on purpose.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
whoops i didn't notice my typo. - hit 2nd gear go wot, after 5.8 you'll here it. it's not all that balls out great on a stock car but yip yip horray you have vtec.
any suggestions on making it a bit louder? for a gsr, i'd like to show the car off as an actual gsr that has vtec instead of some other integra with no vtec lol

You have VTEC if your valve cover says DOHC VTEC on it. Valve covers that say DOHC VTEC don't fit on non-VTEC heads.

And VTEC doesn't activate at 5,800 - that when a GSR intake manifold's butterflies open. VTEC itself activates at 4,400 on a GSR. VTEC doesn't activate unless the engine is up to temp - it won't activate on a cold engine.
You can't hear VTEC activate on a bone stock GSR, it was designed that way on purpose.
Hmm.. maybe I should warm up the engine for awhile... I'll make a video of warmed up engine. So since I'm stock, I can't hear VTEC? What if I put in an SRI? Exhausts are too loud to me.

jznsn2u

any suggestions on making it a bit louder? for a gsr, i'd like to show the car off as an actual gsr that has vtec instead of some other integra with no vtec lol
you sound like you got big pockets just because you have a gsr. get camshafts you'll hear vtec for sure.oh and theres nothin wrong with not having a vtec. don't be surprised when a good driver in an ls blows by you. >_>

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You'll go from can't hear to really hard to hear with an intake. I couldn't really hear VTEC easily until I had a full I/H/C/E setup.

Doesn't your GSR have the gray DOHC VTEC badge on the back?, it's suppose to be under the pass. side taillight. That let's people know.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
you sound like you got big pockets just because you have a gsr. get camshafts you'll hear vtec for sure.oh and theres nothin wrong with not having a vtec. don't be surprised when a good driver in an ls blows by you. >_>
sorry, i wasn't meaning to show off my gsr or anything.. just trying to find out if i even have vtec cause i don't feel a it kicking in nor can i hear it.

You'll go from can't hear to really hard to hear with an intake. I couldn't really hear VTEC easily until I had a full I/H/C/E setup.

Doesn't your GSR have the gray DOHC VTEC badge on the back?, it's suppose to be under the pass. side taillight. That let's people know.
Oh, I/H/C/E here I come!
Yes I do have the DOHC VTEC badge on the back, it does let people know except when I drive.. the VTEC engagement isn't really noticeable.

Honestly, if you can keep people from knowing it's a GSR it's better. Less likely to be stolen...take this from experience.

My C1 swapped DB7 was quiet when it hit Vtec, my DB2 is quiet, my LSV was quite noticeable compared to the others. It was freakishly loud when the car was open header. I mean scared a kid in an EP3 one night running open header in that LSV DB1. :)