Canadian144's DB2 GSR restoration

Canadian144

Hey guys,

Here is my 1992 Integra GS-R. I just picked the car up from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. About 8-9 hours away from Toronto, Ontario where I live.

A little history on the car: It was bought from Acura of Barrie (about 1.5 hours north of Toronto) by a woman back in 1992. She lived in Algoma Mills, ON, which is about 5 hours from Toronto. There is no nearby Acura dealership, so I supposed most of the servicing was done by small-shop mechanics. A year or two ago, she called a scrapper to pick the car up for free. The scrapper must have realized the car was special and worth saving, as he ended up selling it to the guy I bought it from for $400. He lived in Sault Ste Marie. He had the car towed there and didn't do much to it. He had some plans for it but I guess he didn't think he'd get around to putting it together.

Earlier this year, in May, I saw the car for sale on Kijiji for $500 OBO, needing body work, clutch, and tires. I was looking for another project and wanted to buy it. I emailed him asking for pictures but he said he decided not to sell it. I kept in touch with him and we'd text each other about our cars every once in a while. I ended up buying a 94 DC4 Integra RS which I am currently in the process of turning into a track/street setup car. Anyways... he ended up buying an Exedy oem replacement clutch for it but then decided to sell the car. He texted me asking me if I was still interested in it for $500 with the new clutch (not installed).. I said I'd need to see some pics and think about it. He sent the pics and I couldn't decide if I wanted it. A week later he said $350 or it's going to the scrapper... so I went up this past Sunday with my dad.

A couple shots from the drive:

It was a scenic drive and very nice to see some of the country I haven't seen in a few years.

The car does need a lot of work. Fairly rusty but that can be expected from a car that spent it's life in northern Ontario. It runs great, but doesn't drive. It needs to have the exedy clutch installed. The interior is in great shape but sadly missing the armrest. The tires are shot too. It's also lacking floor mats and one front flap, and the spark plug wire cover. I couldn't find the passenger seat belt buckle so I will probably need to replace that too. It's #579 out of the 650 we got for 92. The floor looks to be in great shape though, no rust spots. I have never really done much body work... but want to learn. So this car will be a learning experience I suppose haha. We have a brake, shear, english wheel, welders, etc etc etc.... so I have all of the necessary tools to finish this car. Just need to learn some skills from my dad. Fortunately a lot of the pieces that are super rust can be replaced (ex gas door, hatch). Just the rear quarters are going to need a lot of work.

Pretty much my plans are going to be an OEM spec restoration. I'm not going to be a perfectionist and demand that everything is OEM... but the majority of it. I'm planning for aftermarket wheels, aftermarket springs/struts (or coilovers), aftermarket exhaust, and a steering wheel. Will probably need an Energy Suspension bushing kit too. Maybe an aftermarket deck? IDK. I am going to be busy finishing my Legend and other Integra before I really get around to this...but when I am home from university (I go to school in Boston) for American thanksgiving I am going to probably do the clutch install then just to get it running. Maybe start some body work the following summer.

Walkaround and startup video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_bI-aimKdQ

krisx13

Schweet.
you got a lot of work ahead of you! glad to see you saved the db2 though :)

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Nice find! The motor itself is worth more than what you paid! Needs works, but it has potential!

Canadian144

Haha thanks guys. Lots of rust is exactly right! Maybe even an understatement.

Going to be a long long build but will be worth it for sure.

Canadian144

Scored this MINT hatch, not a spec of rust, or any dent. It's from an RS so no spoiler holes but I will eventually fix that. Good struts too. Honestly this took care of the biggest rust patch. I will be going back to CAW sometime when I'm home from university, as I want to grab the passenger door too.

I also scored some new rims. We rent out the house at our farm.... and the new tenants used to be big into Hondas (CRXs). Among some other stuff, he gave me these rims. Unfortunately he only had two but they look great on the DA. Anyone have another PAIR or individual wheel they want to "donate" to the build or sell me cheaply? haha

Car is now stored with a roof over it, and it will probably stay there for a few months. It's sitting on dirt unfortunately but at least is raised up and has a tarp over it.

When I'm back from Boston for Thanksgiving I'll start her up and let her run for a bit.

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
Here's a resto I'd like to see.
Good work picking that up man, lots of rust but nothing that can't be fixed.
This is why I hate Rustario. Road salt.

Canadian144

Here's a resto I'd like to see.
Good work picking that up man, lots of rust but nothing that can't be fixed.
This is why I hate Rustario. Road salt.
Thanks man! Yeah Ontario sucks lol... especially the Northern parts like where this is from.

I have never seen those wheels before
Only came on Acura ELs.... and they were only sold in Canada. I think the wheels only came on the Premium edition. Like so:

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I saw one of those for the first time not too long ago and almost crapped myself, I had no knowledge of them, along with the Acura CSX, we don't get those state side :p