Canadian144's DC4 RS buildup!

Canadian144

Hey guys,

Picked this up last Saturday for $500. 1994 Integra RS, 5 speed. Going to be a solid project I think. Time to start a build thread.

I guess I'll start with the pics:

The bad:
-Fuel tank leaks
-Left side skirt mounts are all rusted out and the skirt is currently taped on
-Minor interior pieces missing/broken but pretty good
-The sound system is dodgy and there is no antenna
-Other exterior wear/tear, including dent in the hood, other rust, and paint

The Good:
-JDM ITR front end
-JDM 96 spec ITR 4x114.3 hubs, brakes, and wheels (5 of them)
-ITR gauge cluster
-ITR spoiler
-Compustar alarm system/keyless entry
-aftermarket shift knob
-"upgraded rear suspension" - this is what the PO said, I believe it's just the lower control arms, though he said that the rear springs were also changed.
-Integra type r spoiler
-98/up rear tails

All in all, the "good" would take much more than $500 to put together. Although the JDM front end has seen better days, it's still a good start.

My plans:
-Fix the rust/lots of bodywork!
-Better used lenses for the JDM lights (not sure if this is possible)
-Repaint the wheels (at least until I can get some aftermarket wheels in this pattern)
-red JDM ITR Recaros
-Shave rear antenna hole, as well as rear wiper
-Fix sound system (maybe a newer deck and some other speakers, no heavy sub/amp though)
-repaint interior, as well as exterior
-various interior pieces that need to be replaced
-coilovers (or a nice strut/spring combo)
-new gas tank

-LS/Vtec conversion - details still to be planned. So far leaning towards aftermarket rods/pistons, ARP rod bolts, B16 head, ARP head studs, aftermarket intake manifold/cams/valvetrain/exhaust, and hopefully a trans with an LSD (or at least a GSR trans). Not sure what to do about the ECU. Still have to really hammer out the details of the engine. If I can get it running now, at least I can use it to drive the car around, and I'll start with the body work.Still thinking about just dropping in a GSR or ITR motor.

At one point the car had a GSR swap. I imagine it was the same time it got all of the ITR parts haha... someone clearly put a lot of money and effort into the car and it just went downhill. I hope I can restore it to above it's former glory!

So far, I've bought a Personal Neo Grinta red/black wheel. It's a little bent but nothing a bench vise can't fix. Gotta get a hub for it. I'll keep the stock wheel until I do my 4 point harness/roll cage (or at least harness bar) and Recaros. Found a local dude selling 2 4-point Sabelt harnesses for $20, gonna pick them up next week.

Today I got the car on the lift. Got a practically new gas tank for $50, putting it in tomorrow. The first picture shows how the tank is leaking. 3rd pic is the new one. Second picture shows the rust behind the drivers side skirt. My dad said it shouldn't be too hard to weld in some new sheet metal.

[

That's it for now! Will update as I make more progress (and decisions). Suggestions/comments/criticism welcome.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
Who the HELL owned this car, they ran it almost to the ground, good pick up for $500, itr front and 4 lug conversion its worth way more than that, good luck with build, make sure the frame isn't rusted out.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
no joking on the deal.

looks like its require just a tad of TLC for all that rust, but damn. nice come up :thumbs up

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Thought it was a damn ITR at first! haha! Need some work, but with some time and money it will get there. Great deal!

Canadian144

Who the HELL owned this car, they ran it almost to the ground, good pick up for $500, itr front and 4 lug conversion its worth way more than that, good luck with build, make sure the frame isn't rusted out.
Frame looks pretty solid so far! The guy I bought it off of's wife drove it. Apparently her ex-husband used to own it, and from what I gather he is the one that put all of the effort into doing the JDM front end and 96 spec 4 lug conversion. And at one point had a GSR swap and red Recaros. I guess it ended up with the wife (after removing the seats and GSR motor) and then they split up. I guess the rust just got worse and worse from there.

Where in Boston are you from? I got to Northeastern haha. Just home for the summer. After seeing the shape of the roads there, the Integra or Legend will definitely never be coming to school with me!

no joking on the deal.

looks like its require just a tad of TLC for all that rust, but damn. nice come up :thumbs up
The more and more I take it apart the more I see it's more than just a bit of "TLC" lol unfortunately. But hey it should be a good project. Just about every Teg up here in my price rang is gonna need body work, sucks that we have to deal with salt and all that crap. At least this way I'll have gone through everything myself and I'll know that everything is 100%!

Thought it was a damn ITR at first! haha! Need some work, but with some time and money it will get there. Great deal!
Haha thanks man. It definitely looks like an ITR from afar. Kinda random, but the head editor a major import magazine was actually at my farm earlier this week and when he first saw the car from a distance he asked it if it was an ITR! lol

So today I pulled the old tank out. Just about all of the clamps were rusted out so I'll be replacing them. Filler neck took some wrestling to get out also. There was a bit of surface rust and some stains from gas being spilled around the filler neck. So after I got the filler neck out, I sanded the area behind the door all down and primed it up nicely! Not gonna bother putting any paint overtop because obviously the whole car is going to have to be redone. Then I swapped out the old rusty filler neck for a newer one the guy gave me.

One huge problem I ran into was that in 1998, Honda revised the design of the fuel sending unit. So 98 + tanks are slightly different than 94-97. The tank I bought was a 99, so FML! Tomorrow nigh I'm picking up a 98+ fuel sending unit for $20. I just hope that it plugs in the same way as my 94 sender unit did. Then I can put the bank back in next week. I tried to show how it's different in the pics.

Finally I started cleaning up the trunk. I'm removing all of the rubbery sound deadening material, and cleaning it all up with a wire brush wheel. Hopefully I can keep doing this tomorrow, and then lay down some primer. I'll finish it off with some spray on white paint.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
lol GOT DAMN!, i know was being nice and sarcastic about the rust and ALL, but damn!

i take that back, its caked with rust. lol :p

Canadian144

lol GOT DAMN!, i know was being nice and sarcastic about the rust and ALL, but damn!

i take that back, its caked with rust. lol :p
Haha well thanks for being correct! lol

I dunno she's got potential. I've never done body work so this should give me some good experience. We have a metal shear, some other big thing used to put angles into metal, and a welder, so there shouldn't be any problems. From sitting inside the trunk scraping crap off, I can see the rust starting to bubble on the inside of the rear QPs. So I'll probably have to replace quite a bit.

At least the floor and frame is solid.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I live pretty close to the North End area, and yes roads are terrible, i drive through the =m with caution. I mainly ride a bicycle now, easier to get around.

Canadian144

Thanks guys.

I live pretty close to the North End area, and yes roads are terrible, i drive through the =m with caution. I mainly ride a bicycle now, easier to get around.
Haha awesome! I was up in the North End at a public skating rink a few times in January/February. It's right by a bridge, just east of TD Gardens. Hopefully I'll see your Integra at some point! Theres someone who I always see driving by around Northeastern/back bay area, it's a white Integra, RHD, and looks 100% like a JDM ITR. Not sure if it's just an ITR replica (like my car haha) with a RHD conversion, or a legit RHD ITR and he just swapped the vins. Either way it's an awesome looking car.

Don't expect many more updates this week... this is from Friday. I kept working on the trunk area... grinding it down. Man it's a PITA! Other than that... picked up 2 used Sabelt 4 point harnesses for $20. Expired but still in great shape. Won't be going in for a while. Also bought the correct fuel sending unit.

Bought a Momo hub too... but I'm retarded and didn't do my research. I need to get a $30 adapter plate to use a Personal wheel on a Momo hub. I thought all 6 bolt hubs/wheels were universal. So now I'm debating whether to just sell the Momo hub and save up for an NRG short hub/quick release (if anyone is selling one for a DC/EG PM me!) or to get the adapter plate. I kinda just wanted to run the Momo temporarily until I had the cash for the NRG setup. But now I'm wondering if it's worth it to put more money into a temporary setup or just to save up for the quick release. IDK. I'll think about it.

Anyways.... some pics. This week I'm trying to get my Legend on the road so it's gonna be the priority. But there isn't a ton to do, so hopefully later this week I can buy some new fuel line clamps and then put the new tank in.