Can't shift the gear from Parking to Drive

samintegra2001

Im using 2001 acura integra LS from past 3 years and dint get any problem like this before. I cant shift my gear from P to D4. The only way i can shift is inserting the key into the shift lock hole next to the gear. I can see my driver side brake light is not working when i pressed brake either. The shift works fine for some time and stops working again but the right side brake light dint work at all. I am seriously worried..Please help me....Thanks...

SoundEfx

I am not sure for these cars, but it might be that your shift lock is acting up.

Might need to get in there and see what is malfunctioning.

96GreenDB

If your brake light is out then it will do that. Replace your bulb and see if it fixes the problem. My 01 CL type s had this problem and it wouldn't let me shift out of park until I fixed the brake lights. After that, no problem. All this "your tranny is done" garbage is hilarious. I'm sure that's not the case.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
If your brake lights are not working properly then you have a broken brake switch. Have you noticed any broken plastic near the pedals?
The shifter has a lock which only lets it shift out of park if the brake is pressed. There is a little switch above the brake pedal that opens up when the pedal is pressed. This switch controls part of the locking mechanism in the shifter. This switch is also responsible for lighting up the brake lights when you push on the pedal.

I bet your problem is this switch.

96GreenDB

If your brake lights are not working properly then you have a broken brake switch. Have you noticed any broken plastic near the pedals?
The shifter has a lock which only lets it shift out of park if the brake is pressed. There is a little switch above the brake pedal that opens up when the pedal is pressed. This switch controls part of the locking mechanism in the shifter. This switch is also responsible for lighting up the brake lights when you push on the pedal.

I bet your problem is this switch.
If this were the case he would have no brake lights at all, in first post he said only one is not working so I don't believe the switch is the issue. It's definitely NOT the transmission itself so don't listen to everyone saying you need a new tranny. It's either some sort if electrical issue between the sensor and shifter or a short in the system somewhere. With mine, the fuse kept blowing for the tail lights and it wouldn't shift out of park. If only one brake light is out the switch would be out of the question. I'd start with new bulbs and work back towards the shifter itself like someone mentioned, the shifter or possibly a short somewhere.

SoundEfx

Also, if you don't press the brake pedal, it wouldn't shift out of park as well. So check that sensor ( or what ever that mechanism is )

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
If this were the case he would have no brake lights at all, in first post he said only one is not working so I don't believe the switch is the issue. It's definitely NOT the transmission itself so don't listen to everyone saying you need a new tranny. It's either some sort if electrical issue between the sensor and shifter or a short in the system somewhere. With mine, the fuse kept blowing for the tail lights and it wouldn't shift out of park. If only one brake light is out the switch would be out of the question. I'd start with new bulbs and work back towards the shifter itself like someone mentioned, the shifter or possibly a short somewhere.
your right this isnt a tranny issue...lol :D

I had the same problem when i did my swap...i had to replace the switch behind the pedal, but like u said it could be he just needs to replace that brake light