Car buying tips

heykosal

Angkorian
Does anyone have any car buying tips? We're trying to buy a CPO car from an Acura dealer. I'm basically trying to haggle the price down a couple grand, as low as possible, basically leaving the dealer profit margin at only a couple hundred rather than a couple thousand. I also want them to pay for tags/title/fees and such.

Anybody have any secrets?

jznsn2u

Hey Kosal, I'm sure you read this already -

I wrote this for some other person that asked a question similar to yours, here you go-
dude let me give you some tips on what you should be focused on. i'll take time to write somethings i've learned while buying cars.

1. Don't look at just the price. You need to look at the car as a whole, not by how much it costs.
2. Is it a Clean Title / Salvaged. if you might think you would resell the car you purchase in the future, try to aim for a clean title. salvaged usually means the car has been stolen, in an accident, vandalized etc hence harder to sell. KBB the value of the car.
3. What is the Mileage? it's a honda it will easily last well over 200k if you DON'T ABUSE IT. I personally would not buy an integra over 150k miles. that's just me.
4. Body condition - does it have rust? dents are inevitable. rust is a major problem.
5. Interior condition? - the infamous crack in the dash board isn't to big of a problem, check the seat - wear and tear, carpet, center console, power window condition, radio/ speakers - are they blown?
6. Performance Now this is a very important. don't think just because it has a super clean valve cover doesn't mean its legit. 8urcivic is a great valve cover painter anyone can buy one from him.
A.The best way to check the life of your engine is a compression test on all of the cylinders.
B.Test the clutch, run through all gears make sure there's no GRIND/ POP OUT.
C.Actually take a look at the block and look at the condition / dirty / clean - this will tell you about how the the previous owner treated the car.
D.Brakes - if the car isn't on hub caps, and has actual rims you can see through like oh say... gsr blades, you can check the pad life. and of course test it when you drive it.
E. Suspension - are the shocks blown? is it a bouncy ride? stock - smooth but high. aftermarket lowered - stiff is good but if its your daily you will get annoyed if your area has a lot of bumps.
F. If the car is modified of course you will HAVE to go through a more Thorough inspection of the car, how it was built and if it was built RIGHT. *Get the receipts for any aftermarket modification.
7. Craigslist is a good way to find cheap cars but you MUST inspect the car. The reason why people use craigslist over autotrader or ebay is because it is FREE.
8. Expect to find money hungry bastards. Cheap ass fools and bullshit posers.
9. When you email a seller be polite even in person. I personally have bought 2 integra's and because I was polite and I knew what I was talking about, I got minor discounts. No this is not called sucking dick. it's called networking. If you could spend 10 mins talking and making a new friend, they could hook you up.
10. Bring someone with you when you spec a car. Not someone that you trust and doesn't know shit about cars, bring someone that actually has your back and has mechanical experience.
11. Be Cautious about scams, that's why don't go alone.
12. Work hard, save a lot.
13. When you buy your car bone stock, imo DO NOT RUSH MODIFYING YOUR CAR. At least take some time to clean it, and admire it how it was made. When the time is right do it. Trust me half of the guys on this thread still remember how there car USED to be and it means a lot to notice how much hard work they put in it, they didn't rush it.
14. Having a girlfriend doesn't help your automotive expenses. & please don't show off, this will get your car Keyed, windows bashed, a target to thieves + more haters. This means ( don't rev your engine @ school, no burn outs, don't be like that 15 year old kid who likes to rip his ebrake, Yes im punking on that kid who does and don't zoooom and bust flybys on your friends/neighbors they'll dishonor you as a friend.
15. Good luck. Oh and by the way, THE MONEY YOU SPEND ON YOUR CAR MODIFYING... yeah don't expect you to get all that back.

lol 15 steps to buying a car made by jayson. i'm 18 and i own 2 integra's

i swear if you become a ricer after reading this fyl.

I'm sorry I used aggressive language in this post.
Are you guys mind set on the mdx? Like jason said, bring cash. But before you even do that... Get your credit checked and approved by them and let them determine the price. I'm sure you already did that. So go online search up autotrader, edmunds, kbb, yahoo auto, etc. Then go to other dealers around the area. Go back to the dealership and try to challenge the price if you got a cheaper quote from other dealerships. (I doubt this will work anymore, my dad just told me that used to work but now whatever tag you see is what your going to pay). So go to the dealership with that has the better deal.

-DON'T TRADE YOUR CAR IN. Dealerships appraise cars at a low value then re-sell at a ridiculous price. My brother used to work at toyota, some dude traded his db8 to get a 4runner. The trade in value of his
clean db8 was $1000. Toyota put it back out on the lot for $5000. bs. If you plan on trading in your car, don't do it, your best bet is to sell it on craigslist and use the money for the down payment.

-After you get approved, they'll tell you your down payment and work with you to schedule how many years it will take you to pay off. If it's in your budget then its your call bro. Good luck Kosal! Sorry I couldn't contribute anything more than the obvious tips.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
just set a price and tell them thats all you can go, be ready to walk out. leave your phone number. whatever you do, dont buy a extended warranty or service contract, they cover mostly what the basic warranty covers and is all profit for the dealer. they should be willing to deal i would think. i would look at ones a year old

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
tell them what you want to pay, if they say no, leave. 9/10 theyll more willin to negotiate if they think they wont get a deal