Car "clicks" when I try to start

Squigget

Okay, so my when i turn the key to start my car i hear a click and it doesnt even make any noise to start. Problem just got worse today. happened once yesterday then was fine. happened a month ago then never again. btw its not a constant click click click. its just one click.

My battery is new, i cleaned off the ground wire.. maybe i need a ground wire?
Or its my starter... or the problem is something in my ignition?

Help is appreciated and sorry in advance if this has been posted before.

SirClints

SirClints
sounds like the starter.
I've had this problem with a sentra I had, the starter solenoid isnt coming and turning...
you said you cleaned the ground wire (thats what dad and I did to mines and his (he drove a sentra also)) his worked, mines-- not quite.
i ended up buying a new starter (cuz it was kinda embarrassing having a girl in the car and not knowing when its going to start, lol)

Squigget

sounds like the starter.
I've had this problem with a sentra I had, the starter solenoid isnt coming and turning...
you said you cleaned the ground wire (thats what dad and I did to mines and his (he drove a sentra also)) his worked, mines-- not quite.
i ended up buying a new starter (cuz it was kinda embarrassing having a girl in the car and not knowing when its going to start, lol)
thats funny my cousin's sentra had the starter replaced, something in the ignition and then finally the ground wire replaced and the problem stopped..... wat year is your sentra?
and i love how a lot of people were clue less to this thread...

Prozon

Kris
Clean your positive and negative battery terminals and make sure they are on tight. If they are make sure your starter power cable is cleaned and on tight.

Sounds like a connection problem to me. If none of that is the problem, it could also be your starter solenoid, but my guess is just a dirty or loose connection.

Squigget

Thank you :)
I cleaned my connection but ill double check every thing.

i went to autozone they also said starter solenoid. but it was 357$..... bye bye shock and spring money...

Prozon

Kris
Don't buy it from autozone if it's that much. That's a ridiculous ripoff.
See if it's your STARTER clicking or something else. Have someone else turn the key while you listen.

Edit:
$140 from Rockauto.com

Personally I would just get a used starter off Craigslist or from a junkyard.

Last edited:

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
$357? wtf?

the autozone website says $119 if you return the core

thats outrageous

Alvi84

Begin to start the car and take a very small hammer and lightly tap to a stern tap on the starter and if the car starts up that's what it is. Just be careful not to tap too hard. I used to carry a hammer in my car when I had a 91 DA cause the starter was going out. Called the hammer my "remote start". I would have to tap the starter a few times and then jump in the car and start it up. haha So glad to not have to do that any more.

Squigget

Begin to start the car and take a very small hammer and lightly tap to a stern tap on the starter and if the car starts up that's what it is. Just be careful not to tap too hard. I used to carry a hammer in my car when I had a 91 DA cause the starter was going out. Called the hammer my "remote start". I would have to tap the starter a few times and then jump in the car and start it up. haha So glad to not have to do that any more.
A guy that works close to me told me to do this. It's not my starter I'm thinking its something in my ignition. I had my starter tested and nothing is wrong with it. I ordered a new ignition switch to see if that does the trick. 45$ from car-stuff.com

French-Frye

I was told this could be caused by an Ignition switch. the connections too it. or check your starter Relay the contacts might be crudded up

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Find someone to help you and hit the starter with a hammer while your turning it over. If it starts, then you need to replace it. This happened to mine recently, and replaced battery, wires, spark plugs, all that good stuff.

Prozon

Kris
You should probably read the thread lol. Somebody already suggested that, and Squigget replied saying his starter was tested and is fine.