Car died, no start. Replaced plugs, starts but dies after a few seconds

Atrel

Hi everyone! New to the forum but I have been a long time reader of the site for solving previous issues with my cars. This time I've came across a problem I've been unable to solve for about 2 weeks now. I tried searching and was unable to find the same problem so sorry if I missed it and duplicated a thread.

I have a 94 integra gsr, all stock. 250,xxx miles and standard transmission. Everything was working fine with no problems up to this point...On the way home from work, it started to bog down at a red light. After trying to pull forward, it died completely (almost as if it were out of gas). I tried starting but it only tried to fire on the initial turn of the key and then juse cranked (VERY rarely it may try to fire with no luck). Fuel pump primes and is sending fuel, distributor cap was pulled and appears to look ok. The spark plugs looked pretty worn so I replaced all 4 with proper gap. This time the car started up right away and seemed to be running decent until it died after about 15 seconds. Started it back up (no hesitation) and it ran for about 5 seconds until it died again (almost as if it were out of gas or being choked out again. Maybe even as if the alternator wasn't functioning though it seems completely unrelated to previous symptoms). With a car with this high of mileage, I don't want to dump a lot of money into guessing what the problem could be so my question is... does anybody know what could cause the car to bog down and die, refuse to start, change the spark plugs, run for a short time only to bog down again? I just don't see why the new spark plugs would allow it start but not keep it running?

If there is any other information you need, just let me know...I'd really like to figure this out so I can get my transportation back. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Atrel

Update: Tried to start again today and the motor cranked, but would not fire. I could smell fuel. Took 2 of the new spark plugs out to see their condition (a little crud on them?) but didn't look burnt or anything. Cleaned them off, tried to start it again and it fired up for about 5 seconds and died again. It seems it has something to do with the spark plugs getting "dirt" on them causing them not to spark?

Thanks for the response tamboo. Seeing how cleaning the plugs will allow the car to start temporarily, wouldn't that eliminate the plug wires, icm, and the ignition coil from being the problem?

Swerve

Shawn
Does your fuel pump prime and main relay click?

Atrel

Yes, fuel pump primes and relay clicks. It's getting fuel, at least to start it but I can't figure out why it bogs down and dies

Atrel

Still stranded...anybody else have any ideas? A friend told me a blown head gasket or cracked head may be the cause of the "dirt" being on the spark plugs. Any thoughts on that or is it likely another cause? Thanks for any advice, tips, or ideas!

Aceofspades

yeah, all that comes to mind is cap/rotor/coil/spark plug wires/ spark plugs. if fuel , air and combustion is not the issue then it is spark, timing could be off as well. i would not exclude replacing any if not all of those parts listed above ENLESS you discover it is your timing, or fuel or compresion through testing first. lastly, have your obd2 read and determan if maybe its an issue with an o2 sensor or the ecu itself. taking the car to a tuner can be expensive but if its not a physical issue with the car then ecu or sensor issues are the only ones that i can think of. given the millage of the car itself, however, not a bad idea to go ahead and replace all the ignition peices ( cap/rotor,coil,plugs, and wires.) also set timing back to default if it isn't there already. if i am not mistaking 14-18 degrees is factory range. and be sure to test your compresion. the car can have idle and running issues if the compresion is low or non existant. ( i.e. car wont start if the air/fuel isn't compressed sufficiantly.) I am not a mechanic, my expericance mechanicly extends as far as auto body repair, 6 years structural repair on army aircraft, and all repairs on my own personal vehicals mainly 4 cyl hondas and rx7s. soo this is just an opinion based off of the facts i know , hope it helps.