car died, now my Kickers won't bump

dbryder

my car battery died two days ago and had a friend jump it for me. i started driving again and realized my kickers weren't playing. i looked at my amp and kickers to make sure all the wires were plugged in still and they were. so now i'm thinking it's the battery not having enough juice to power it? it was working fine before this accident happened. now the equalizer on my kenwood headunit doesn't have the subwoofer adjustment capabilities.
could really use some advice...any ideas?

Editted 12-8-11 9:49 pm
Additional questions:

*When i currently play music (with/without kickers playing) there's static in the background. That's a speaker not grounded right?
*my front speakers don't play. i bought the car a couple weeks ago and just realized it. i should check to see if the wires a connected, but is there any other things i should check?

Last edited:

dbryder

yea and my viper remote start works too. except my remote start doesn't always work on it's first attmept sometimes

Ganyon

Maybe the headunit went bad. Borrow a friends, plug it up real quick and see if it works. Or if the radio is pretty new, call kenwood and get a replacement. It doesn't sound like a battery problem. Sounds like a headunit problem.

dbryder

Maybe the headunit went bad. Borrow a friends, plug it up real quick and see if it works. Or if the radio is pretty new, call kenwood and get a replacement. It doesn't sound like a battery problem. Sounds like a headunit problem.
hmm..this is a logical guess considering it's a pretty old head unit. looks like i have something to do on a friday night. i'lll let you know my results.
BTW ....Club Integra is f***ing sick, i'm getting responses within minutes of my post. b20vtec.com took days

Ganyon

Yeah we're pretty quick with responses. If you need a new headunit I'd suggest getting a pioneer or alpine. I've heard good things about alpine and everyone in my family has always used pioneer.

dbryder

yea i have a pioneer in my 98 DB8, so i'll do it tomorrow and post my results

Ganyon

It all comes down to the radio. If it's bad, it could cause the static and the front speakers not to play. Also, the wiring harness on the radio could be loose or have a loose wire.

dbryder

oh damn i didn't even think about the wire harness. my pioneer used to play my ipod on the left half of the car and when i hit bumps, the sound would travel through different combinaitons of speakers, so maybe i should get a new head unit over all

mirrorimg

First of all, you should check the inline fuse for the amp power wire. If its blown, that's probably why your subs aren't working. Also, there should be a couple fuses on the amplifier. Make sure those are also still good.

I had static in mine, and it pulsed with the rpm of my car. Pretty sure it was a ground loop but never located the issue. I took my subwoofer out and never looked back.

99tegjawn

If your amp is on but your subs arent working then its the sub presets in your headunit. mess around with the setting the bass level is probably low. all settings return to default on a dead battery. If its not coming on then it could be your rem wire which is what tells your amp to turn on. your third option is that they are p.o.s kickers lol jk jk. but check all wiring and settings before buying another.

99tegjawn

First of all, you should check the inline fuse for the amp power wire. If its blown, that's probably why your subs aren't working. Also, there should be a couple fuses on the amplifier. Make sure those are also still good.

I had static in mine, and it pulsed with the rpm of my car. Pretty sure it was a ground loop but never located the issue. I took my subwoofer out and never looked back.
The static can come from running your power wire too close to your signal cables ( newbie mistake for subs) and they more power the engine take from the battery, the more the power in your wire for your subs will fluctuate which would cause fluctuating static.

dbryder

so while checking the fuses i had to take out the box and accidently pulled out two red wires and went to put them back in. good news was that my fuses were good. on the other hand, i didn't put the wires in the proper place and put the negative wire onto the positive four channel connector and sparks came out. i knew something was wrong and i blew out all the fuses. i replaced all of them and now my kickers still won't play. i'm guessing i blew out my amp that powers my kickers? because the amp is receiving power, just not powering the kickers