Car died on the road, no spark

JVMV

I have a 1990 4door integra. 3 days ago, i was driving to the gas station a few block away from where i live and suddenly my my rpm bogged up and down and then the car died. i pulled over to the side of the road and had a tow truck take it home. the engine still cranks but it has no spark to any cylinders.
I started troubleshooting it at home. i checked to make sure the fuel pump was priming and i smelt gas when i cranking the engine. i checked all the fuses to make sure none were blown and every one of them were okay. next was the distributor.
I cleaned the contacts on the dizzy cap and checked the rotor to make sure everything was fine. after a no start again i assumed it must me the ICM considering the car just died without any signs of stalling. I found a ICM and ignition coil at a junkyard hoping it would fix the problem but there's still no spark. I don't want to buy a new dizzy unless i know it's the problem.
I'm starting to get frustrated and don't know what else to check for. A buddy of mine gave me a dizzy that leaks oil but can be fixed easily but i can't use it because it has a 7-pin and a 2-pin connector, mine is completely different and also all the parts are different. Any help would be appreciated

Sorry if i posted in the wrong place, dont really post here often....and yes there's gas in the car

JVMV

You check the spark plugs? check the battery? bad connections?
Spark plugs were wet with gas from me trying to start the car a few times. I'm going to take them out so i can let the spark plug wells and the spark plugs themselves dry off and im going to try it again.

my battery isnt charged enough to start on its own but i try to jump start the car with cables. if i have time, i'm going to have it charged at autozone.

are you talking about the connections to the distributor? i haven't really looked at it yet. i did check the ground connection to the thermostat housing and cleaned it but still nothing works so far.

i checked the timing belt too and it doesnt look damaged so i dont think a tooth skipped

JVMV

let spark plug wells vent, i had my battery fully charged and i checked the connections to the ignitor and the coil thinking i connected them wrong but everything checked out okay. tried to start but still no spark.

is it likely that a connection part of the actual distributor housing could have fried?

JVMV

tested the ignition coil and nothing...

I noticed a black cylinder on the side of the dizzy, possibly a capacitor. i'm going to find another dizzy somewhere else and if it works, it must be that capacitor malfunctioning.

death6543

Use a tester light on a fuel injector to see if your crank sensor is good. you have to find the positive lead on the injector with the light then have some one tern the engine over if the light flikers on and off then the crank sensor is good. but this happend to me before and all i had to do is replace the ignition coil and it fired right up. you only want to use a new one, preferably oem. the old one you put in from the junk yard could be bad too. never trust electrical stuff from junk yards.if you going to remove the dizzy make sher to mark your timing and look into a new oem igniter too. Also go to youtube and look up eric the car guy he has all kinds of videos on issues like this with honda cars.

Last edited: