Car Knocks but oil is fine

rcj

Hey you guys I have a question. I have a 1994 LS and I was driving it home today. Then I happen to notice a knock in the engine. I pulled over to check the oil and it was full. Last incident with an engine knock i bLew the engine and my dad and I replaced it with a 96 b18b1 motor. He is extra pissed Now that this happens. Idk if its still an oil problem or not because when i checked it was full. Water level was good and spark plug wires were down. What's the problem?

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
Hey you guys I have a question. I have a 1994 LS and I was driving it home today. Then I happen to notice a knock in the engine. I pulled over to check the oil and it was full. Last incident with an engine knock i bLew the engine and my dad and I replaced it with a 96 b18b1 motor. He is extra pissed Now that this happens. Idk if its still an oil problem or not because when i checked it was full. Water level was good and spark plug wires were down. What's the problem?
Sounds like you've spun a bearing. Drain the oil and look for excessive metal shavings. Pull the oil filter and cut it in half. Read through the filter like your turning pages in a book. If there's a ton of metal shavings your spinning a bearing. Make sure it's a bearing and your not hearing something else. Hope that helps good luck 8)

BankiBoi

I'm keep that in mind for future, nice trick.

If no metal valve adjustment maybe

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

rcj

Sounds like you've spun a bearing. Drain the oil and look for excessive metal shavings. Pull the oil filter and cut it in half. Read through the filter like your turning pages in a book. If there's a ton of metal shavings your spinning a bearing. Make sure it's a bearing and your not hearing something else. Hope that helps good luck 8)
Alright I Really Appreciate it. Imma look and see. I think my dad checked it out today but I haven't asked him yet. And I'm sure its not any other sounds cuz i been through this before. Just not with a full thing of oil tho. Thanks for the help :)

rcj

What would be the problem with the valve adjustment.? So they need tightning or something.

BankiBoi

I would upload a YouTube video of how it sounds running to get more feedback. Knocking is loud and valves have a ticking sound and its easy to do, you can't tighten then without turning the crank and having a feeler gauge to make sure it's in OEM spec

eiznekeM

Sounds more like just excessive clearance on the main bearings. Still, check like Jobot said, you'd find out either way. Use a master gauge to test the oil pressure with the car in gear, handbrake on and brakes depressed and bring the rpm up to about fifteen hundred. If the oil pressure is low and you hear a deep, solid knock low in the engine, it's your main bearings.

Valve adjustment is a high pitched, tappet noise, closer to the top of the engine, twice crankshaft speed. So I don't think that's it, as easy as that would have been.

I hope it's not a main bearing issue for your sake poster, it's a rebuild situation in that case. Good lick

rcj

I would upload a YouTube video of how it sounds running to get more feedback. Knocking is loud and valves have a ticking sound and its easy to do, you can't tighten then without turning the crank and having a feeler gauge to make sure it's in OEM spec

Yeah please do so.....and its not necessarily a "knocking" noise. Its more of ticks at idle. Then it putters and the engine dies out when i give it gas......I really think its an exhaust back pressure problem but I'm worried about the ticking noise and puttering

BankiBoi

do a valve job. ive heard of this problem before with cars dying out like that but it was usually a bad fuel pump for the easy fix the others were little more complicated

rcj

do a valve job. ive heard of this problem before with cars dying out like that but it was usually a bad fuel pump for the easy fix the others were little more complicated
What's a valve job? And it couldn't be the fuel pump cuz we been changed for.A brand new one.

eiznekeM

Yeah please do so.....and its not necessarily a "knocking" noise. Its more of ticks at idle. Then it putters and the engine dies out when i give it gas......I really think its an exhaust back pressure problem but I'm worried about the ticking noise and puttering
The ticking might be the valve train, these engines should tick a little though. A quiet Honda engine needs adjusting. A backpressure issue might be it. Test it with a vacuum gauge off of the intake manifold or brake booster. It should read around 16" of HG and drop to nearly 0" when you try to rev it up. Alternatively or to try and verify the previous test, put the gauge into the o2 sensor before the catalytic converter and check the reading idle and raised. Shouldn't be more than 1 psi.

The cam or followers would have to be so worn to be holding the valves open enough to make it die out. Diagnose and confirm the issue before any service or just replacing parts. It'll save headaches.

rcj

The ticking might be the valve train, these engines should tick a little though. A quiet Honda engine needs adjusting. A backpressure issue might be it. Test it with a vacuum gauge off of the intake manifold or brake booster. It should read around 16" of HG and drop to nearly 0" when you try to rev it up. Alternatively or to try and verify the previous test, put the gauge into the o2 sensor before the catalytic converter and check the reading idle and raised. Shouldn't be more than 1 psi.

The cam or followers would have to be so worn to be holding the valves open enough to make it die out. Diagnose and confirm the issue before any service or just replacing parts. It'll save headaches.
Alright Imma be sure to test this out as soon as i get home today. Thanks for the Info on this.

eiznekeM

To clarify, 16" of Hg to 0" when revved is the sign of a plugged cat or exhaust, normal at idle is between 18" and 22" and about 22" at 2000 rpm. Good luck.

rcj

To clarify, 16" of Hg to 0" when revved is the sign of a plugged cat or exhaust, normal at idle is between 18" and 22" and about 22" at 2000 rpm. Good luck.
*update* come to find out the exhaust had small holes in which we patched up with liquid metal solution. secondly we replaced all spark plugs and found out that the number 3 plug isnt firing but the dizzy is giving off a discharge. now we are going to do a valve adjustment soon. any more tips would be highly appreciated.