Car rattle on start, CEL flashing? HELP

Resistance92

yes i checked previous threads and nothing was quite similar. All im getting is it could be misfire? which makes no sense to me.

Every now and then when i first turn the car on when it hasnt been turned on for awhile (3hours+) it may or may not shake a little then its fine to drive and runs perfect.

Today i went to turn it on and it did the rattle, but this time the CEL kept flashing for like 5 minutes. The car settled down and i drove it, but the CEL kept flashing. It has stopped but im worried about it.

Things i have done to the car is changed the dizcap/rotor, ngk spark plugs and plug wires, short ram intake.

So is it misfire? how can i fix this. i dont like it to rattle and i definetly dont like CEL flashing. really scary!

Alvi84

Flashing CEL does indicate you have a misfire but I was also able to find a thread from the past that stated he had the blinking CEL and when he pulled the code it was for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I would start with those two in mind when looking over you car. I would have your ignition coil checked and then the TPS sensor.

Resistance92

Flashing CEL does indicate you have a misfire but I was also able to find a thread from the past that stated he had the blinking CEL and when he pulled the code it was for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I would start with those two in mind when looking over you car. I would have your ignition coil checked and then the TPS sensor.
hmm thx for input

how would i go about getting it checked? is it something i can change myself? $$$ is really tight and im not sure how much these things are. im fairly mechanically competent as long as it doesnt involve air tools lol.

Resistance92

hmm thx for input

how would i go about getting it checked? is it something i can change myself? $$$ is really tight and im not sure how much these things are. im fairly mechanically competent as long as it doesnt involve air tools lol.
up, still need help with this.

seahtech

You need a code reader. Go to Shucks or Autozone etc and they will pull the code and get back to us!

Resistance92

up, still need help on how to fix (TPS sensor? and how to clean IAC sensor)

CEL Code is p0420

gugiey

when you engine light blinks you SHOULDN'T drive you car this is indicating that a major fault is gonna or about to happen .

normal check engine lights stay on
serious lights flash to get your attention and take it to a shop .

French-Frye

you really should not drive it when the CEL is flashing. a flashing CEL indicates a Type A misfire and could do serious damage to your CAT.

Resistance92

okay thanks for the warning wont do it again. So how can i fix this problem? is the 420 code the cat? thats what the lady said but i dont see y it would make my engine rattle on start up...

Resistance92

Sooo....today it finally is crapping out on me. Never got it changed due to $$$ problems but i can now take a loan out or something.

Whats happening: I turn my car on, then 5 seconds later the CEL will start blinking and the engine will literally SHAKE...i popped my hood and watched it shake...i also smelled a hint of oil. I turned my car on and off like 10 times to see if it would go away this time but its not to no avail...so im having a mechanic come check it out.

Where should I start? The motor is original b18b1 from 1998, never rebuilt...im sure it needs attention i just lack tools...

Resistance92

checked my cap and rotor which i changed in April, they were fine. Checked my spark plugs and 2,3 are pretty flooded with oil...1, 4 are clean.