Car shuts down after 5 minutes of driving???

craigcrizzle

How would i check the injector pulse. It has a huge fuel rail and 6 month old injectors, pretty sure there still working cause when the car is running it runs great, i little rough on idle, but other than that it works fine till it just turns off the engine

craigcrizzle

oh yeah, and now my fuel pressure gauge seems to be keeping pressure even when i havent started it in 2-3 days, weird its never held pressure that long, usually it goes back down after about 20-30 minutes or less

craigcrizzle

i havent been able to get to my fuel filter yet, but would that make the car shut off after it heats up??? how could i check the main relay, it makes a clicking noise when i turn the key to start. but maybe when it gets hot it would turn off, does that sound right?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
How would i check the injector pulse. It has a huge fuel rail and 6 month old injectors, pretty sure there still working cause when the car is running it runs great, i little rough on idle, but other than that it works fine till it just turns off the engine
its called a niod light, you can probally get one at the auto parts store, you plug you injector connector into it and watch for a blinking light while cranking. no light means no signal, most commonly its the distributor, i just changed 1 today.

craigcrizzle

see, i thought it was the distributor as well, but theirs no way i can pay $200 right now, i'm hoping its a little easier and cheaper than that... Not that hoping has got me anywhere yet. Wow, this is a pain

craigcrizzle

so i just found a air sensor that was unplugged, i plugged it in and it ran in the driveway for about 45-50 minutes just fine, then the test run, got about half a mile down the road and it shut off again!???!?!??!?!? Should i reset the ecu, think that might clear the code right???

craigcrizzle

so i think that fix the problem, after plugging that sensor back in, DUH>>> i just reset the ecu and took it for a drive for like an hour and a half, i also took the cd player face off and it was like 200 degrees, to hot to hold, i removed that and now, it seems to be working great, i even took it up to 125 and still, nothing, im so pumped right now, if anything else happens i will be back here to post some more stuff im sure, thanks for everything guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

craigcrizzle

nope, its back, but i noticed that the bell doesnt ring when nomally you put the key to start it rings(or beeps) it stopped doing that when the car shuts off, im thinking now that its the ignition in some way.. HELP!!!!!

EF9Tuning

sounds like main relay to me...happend in my civic.. once the interior of the car gets a certain temp it will cut the car off.

craigcrizzle

main relay huh, isnt there a way to resauder that??? if so how or where would i find out how??? i dont even know ill have to take it out and check it out. If theres anything wrong with it will i see like burnt marks or would it be just as easy to just replace it???

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
lmao your having a lot of problems my friend.

Are you still getting CEL. Check it.

I sitll want to say its the ECT like that guy said. Check air filter too. Cars have trouble running when car is hot. and air is clogged.

FROM MY HAYNES BOOK:

Engine Hard to Start when hot:
1. Air Filter Clogged
2. Fuel not reaching fuel injection
3. Battery Cable/bad connecition

Last edited:

EF9Tuning

The main relay is in a seald box you will have to replace it. A good tip on troubleshooting is go from the cheapest and work your way up to the more expensive part untill the problem is fixed.

craigcrizzle

im going to replace the main relay today, cross my fingers and hope that works. is The main relay considered the main power relay??? i told the place main relay and thats all they can find..

Last edited:

craigcrizzle

wtf, so i replaced the damn relay, and still, doing the same freakin thing, what else could this freakin be, im really starting to hate this piece. any other suggestions??????????????HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!