Car starts then cuts off

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
This just started happening. I was at a red light and the car just died. Started it up after a couple of tries. Went to a friends house. Got back in the car started the car and then it just bogged and cut off. it started after like 4 tries. Wat could it be. could this be my plugs'n'wires.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
check your distributor, fuel pressure, and MAP sensor first.

when you get the car running, can you turn it off and right back on with no problems or do you still have to give it a few tries before it starts? if you're able to start it again right after you turn off the car, it might be a fuel problem.

does the problem usually happen when you let the car sit for a while or is it all the time?

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
i cant really answer dat cuz it just started happenin. I went outside to turn it on and it turned on fine. turned it off. start it up a couple more times with like a 5-10 second interval. in like the fifth try it bogged and cut off. Then i try to started it up and it did. It happens at different times

G3GirL

i cant really answer dat cuz it just started happenin. I went outside to turn it on and it turned on fine. turned it off. start it up a couple more times with like a 5-10 second interval. in like the fifth try it bogged and cut off. Then i try to started it up and it did. It happens at different times
i'm not sure i quite understand what you're trying to say. do you mean that you went out and started it repeatedly just fine except the fifth time? or did you shut it off after the first time, wait 5-10 sec. intervals, and tried to start it a few more times between that, but it didn't turn on again until the fifth try?

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
no i turned it on and off like 4 times. with about 5sec. intervals. when i started it up the 5th time, it bogged and died. Then it took a couple of tries before it turned bak on.

G3GirL

i really don't know what else to tell you then. i'm still new to this stuff, so i don't want to give you any misinformation. hopefully someone else can help you here. my brother usually diagnoses my car.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
i went all the way to work and bak (which is about 65 miles) and the car did NOT shut down on me. WTF is going on with my baby.

mteg

Automatic Lover
How many miles are on your car? I'd start with the obvious. If you have high miles and have never changed your plugs and wires, now would be a good time to do it. Pull your distributor cap off and check your rotor, might be getting worn. Your're ignition coil should be fine, but I wouldn't rule it completely out. Does your CEL come on? Check your map sensor-that none of the wires are broke. Make sure your battery terminals are free of corrrision. I would also change your fuel filter if this hasen't been done in a while. Basically, give your car a tune-up. If your still having problems, then we would know that it's not one of the obvious problems.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
Well today i noticed something. When the car is at ilde, if i put the window up or down, it sounds like the car is loosing power and want to cut off. Even the dash lights dim. Could this be the battery?? I am going to change the plugs and wires tomorow.

macinthecrack

just get some sand paper and clean off the posts of the battery and the plugs and make sure the water levels are right in the battery(distilled water only) to where they look curved

my friends car was doing that same shit and we took care of his battery the same way and now it starts up every time

Last edited:

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
I did a computer check and it said i have a bad O2 sensor, and i also have a misfire. Here's the thing, i replaced both O2 sensors like 3 months ago, and the light keeps coming on and off. what could be the proble with my O2's ??? About the misfire, i am going to replace the plugs n wires, rotor/cap, and see wat happens

mteg

Automatic Lover
It's possible you either have a short somewhere, your're alternators bad. Try the tuneup first. If that doesn't work, it's time to break out the voltmeter.