Car steers right while braking from speeds exceeding 60mph

K3Ntegra

The front left & right brake pads are new. The front left rotor is new, and it replaced an old one that became warped.

While replacing the brake pads I mistakenly loosened the screw of the brake line, and then tightened it again. I noticed some brake fluid spill on the ground.

I also hit the old warped rotor (thankfully just the left one), with a hammer, to try and remove it. That may have damaged the hub, but I don't think so. I used this method, to remove the rotor. That method slightly damaged a wheel stud thread, but I was able to fix it with this tool.

I did place some silicone lube on the left caliper brake piston, to see if a squeaking noise would go away. The noise was due to a new brake hardware kit that was falsely labeled as compatible. I later used brake cleaner to to clean the surface of the brake piston, to try and get some silicone lube off. That may have been pointless.

After searching on Google, some suggested that the tie rod may be responsible. I inspected the left tie rod, and it seems to be in working order.

While the left caliper was fastened on the brake bracket, I did lightly hit it and forcefully shake it, to see if it was loose. Unlike the front right caliper, the left caliper did slightly move/shake around a bit, and may be causing rattling sounds every once in while, when hitting a bump.

Before I performed the brake job, the 1 side of the front left pads, were badly worn, where the front right still had some much more "meat left". There was a squealing sound on the left before I performed the brake job.

The mechanic that did the last 2 brake jobs on the front, let the caliper hang by the brake line.

The newer mechanic I go to now, says it's cheaper to buy a new caliper than to rebuild the old one.
This is the cheapest 'new', caliper I can find: http://www.autozone.com/1/products/217028-brake-caliper-duralast-reman-c8856.html

What would be the proper steps to try and diagnose this problem, before buying a new caliper?

K3Ntegra

did you bleed your brakes after loosening the brake line?
Thanks for responding. No I did not.

I only loosened the cap from the brake fluid master cylinder (correct name?) located at the top right in the engine bay, while retracting the brake piston.
I tried to make sure contaminants didn't get into the master cylinder.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
While replacing the brake pads I mistakenly loosened the screw of the brake line, and then tightened it again. I noticed some brake fluid spill on the ground.

i would rebleed and make sure everything is tight. Also i would see if you had a seized caliper.

K3Ntegra

I had the brake line of the front left bled today by mechanic. I haven't driven much miles, but the problem still seems noticeable.

It seems the next step will be to replace the caliper, due to a seized brake piston?

I'll compare temperature tomorrow morning of the front left and right wheel wells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XFRpeboz10

Edit: I changed the rear brake pads and rotor, and it seems the swerving is gone. One of four the rear pad had been worn out almost entirely.

Last edited: