car still wont fire???

itrintegra

Just got a brand new distributor, spark plugs, wires, and the car wont fire it just cranks over and im not getting any spark. And when it does fire it will run for a couple seconds and then shut off. When i got it to fire i could smell gas big time at my exhaust..but i just had put in a brand new fuel pump..any ideas???

Winki

Undercover mod
and when you say wont fire do you mean you have no spark? of it just wont turn over?

NA97Civic

sounds like your car is getting fuel but be careful you can flood your motor with gas. check your timing, and when you turn over the motor do a spark test to make sure there is spark to start with i would check cylinder 1 and 3 first since thats what the firing order is. 1-3-4-2

Last edited:

itrintegra

sounds like your car is getting fuel but be careful you can flood your motor with gas. check your timing, and when you turn over the motor do a spark test to make sure there is spark to start with i would check cylinder 1 and 3 first since thats what the firing order is. 1-3-4-2
My car is getting fuel, checked the timing out and its ok...did a spark test and it isnt getting spark to it. I think the guy put my wires in the wrong order. If someone could get me a pic of a gsr engine without the spark plug wire cover i would appreciate it so i can see what goes wear.

B18TEG

BLACK DA
1. check the rotor on the dizzy, it could be in pieces, and thus not generating the spark needed
2. check the main relay fuse
3. check your spark plug gap. if its not gapped correctly it will not burn the fuel.
4. it seriously sounds like timing is off, double check timing
5. base fuel pressure is off?
6. if everything checks out unplug you injectors from the dead end plug on the firewall. crank it so you can burn the fuel in your cylinders and then try again with the injectors plugged in

Last edited:

itrintegra

When u say check the timing, do you mean check the timing belt or the timing on the distributor? And how do u check the timing on the distributor?

B18TEG

BLACK DA
check both. timing gun light with timing marks is your friend. just point and match colors

Winki

Undercover mod
if its getting fuel it shouldn't be the main relay because if there was no main relay the fuel pump would not kick on

B18TEG

BLACK DA
the main relay is in the fuse box in the front i believe its a 40 or 60 amp fuse. its red and big. and it will be labeled MAIN on the cover map. my car still primed when i blew the main once, so its possible.