Car theft protecting for under $1

forrest12

Okay so recently i have heard a lot about peoples cars being stolen...
so i was messing around with my car cheeking out the wireing to decide where to put a kill switch.
I was putting the plastic cover back around the stearing collom and thought "wow that was easy to get acess to hot wire my car". So i was thinking most ppl that try to steel a car bring basic tools with them to help get the plactic cover off aka "phillips head screw driver" ect.... So all I did was switch the phillips screws to Hex screws.... The thief cant take it off unless he has got a hex bit for a screw driver wich isnt likely, Or if he knows a lot about wireing in a car.......
Im goign to see how this plays out with mine......
let me know what you think or andy sudjestions
im still getting an alarm system btw :p:twocents:

spyk3

honestly if i was gonna break into your car and saw the screws were changed, i would just break the plastic piece off...

spyk3

actuallly i would just break the plastic piece off anyways regaurdless of what kinda screws were in there.

1caintegra

type-s and the RS
hahaha just pop ur hood and pull ur fuse gameover free anti theft

forrest12

Have you ever tryed breaking it off?
Yeah its not going to come off just by pulling on it, your guna need to pry that bitch off with a crow bar

Cman46290

Yeah its not going to come off just by pulling on it, your guna need to pry that bitch off with a crow bar
lol... yea... a pry bar is probably the most common "basic" tool of a thief.

And i agree with others.... (though you have a good general idea).... if i were to try to steal a car.. i would break the shit outta that plastic housing... and never bother checking to see what kind of screws were holding it in.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Removing a fuse does nothing since it's very easy to diagnose and you can just take any other fuse over even a piece of metal and put it in there.

It's not at all necessary to jump start the car at the steering column. You can jump start it from under the hood. But thieves like to crack the key cylinder in order to remove the steering wheel lock and be able to jump start the car all in one shot. What are you going to do though? Built a metal box around it?

The best kind of kill switch is one you put on the ground for the main relay. You can also kill the ECU from inside the bottom of the under-hood fuse box.

Pretty much anything you would want to know is in the link in my sig.

You could have a very effective, quality alarm setup for around $200 (install yourself). For around $350 you could have two way paging, window roll up, and remote start. If you have more money to spend then go for a GPS tracking system that you will have to pay to have installed. If you're approaching $1000 on security install, you are getting seriously ripped.

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
if a thieve really wants ur car hes gonna bust some impossible moves just to take it bro lol
Well we're all going to die someday so you might as well blow your brains out. And just hand your keys over to the nearest thief.

It's nonsense. With a little effort you can make it virtually impossible for someone to steal your car.

Aznxtasy

Mmm... Autolock- Pedal Locks. Just wrap that beeotch around the gas pedal. See if the thief gets anywhere with it.

Tylar

I've never tried to pull it off but I've seen mine pulled off when someone tried to steal it so yeah I would say its very possible to just pull it of lol.

Prozon

Kris
Yeah, thief's don't really care about preserving your plastics. :p
They could get it off one way or another.

Listen to SuspendedHatch and check out his website. It's probably the best place to go for DIY Security.
I linked it in the How To thread too. :)