Car Warm Up?

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
if its below freezing i start it up then go back in the house and brush my teeth and put on my work hoodie and then go out and leave. so about 5 minutes or so. if its not below freezing then i leave as soon as im all situated in my car. no need to waste gas by leaving it sit for 10 min so its warm inside. i leave it "warm up" so that the oil heats up enough to lubricate everything properly so you dont fuck shit up by driving. kinda the whole idea behind it :what:

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
i wait until my rev goes down close to 1 because if i dont it sounds so loud when i drive. its warm here so 5 minutes isnt all too bad. i remember when my dad use to wait 15 minutes, im like wow im gonna be late for school. FOOL!

GSROWNSU

maybe this is just a myth but i heard that letting your car idle for long periods of time ruins your 02 sensors...not sure how or why but someone told me that sometime :what:

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Yeah like a min, the rpms are at 1500, so I just put in in gear and let it cruise down the street but with out passing 2000 rpm

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
i warm it up all the way. takes for ever but cold aluminum blocks lubricate like shit. driving your car around on a cold engine puts alot of stress and wear on it

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
dc2GS-R said:
i warm it up all the way. takes for ever but cold aluminum blocks lubricate like shit. driving your car around on a cold engine puts alot of stress and wear on it
Actually the owners manual says that is better to drive the car at moderate rpm that let it idle b/c its just waisting gas and takes forever to warm up and the oil need to be at a certain temp to be at its maximun viscosity espesially in cold weather, so letting it rum at idle is worst that driving it around b/c the oil is still not at its optumun temperature

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
letting it run for a good 1-2 minutes is good enuff, to get the oil flowing.. then i'm out of the garage. i try to stay under 3k and try not to gas it too much but let it cruise. that and its not a good a idea to engage vtec after cold start ups mainly cause it wont engage... something about being too cold, i forgot... someone wanna confirm this?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
cabezzzdb8 said:
Actually the owners manual says that is better to drive the car at moderate rpm that let it idle b/c its just waisting gas and takes forever to warm up and the oil need to be at a certain temp to be at its maximun viscosity espesially in cold weather, so letting it rum at idle is worst that driving it around b/c the oil is still not at its optumun temperature
at idle its not under any load though. i'd rather let it idle with cold oil then drive it around at 3000 with cold oil