car won't drive

sleeper_92

i was leaving a gas station last week and i was turning left to get back onto the highway and the castle nut on the ball joint backed off somehow and the ball joint popped out of the socket it broke the cv joint when the wheel went inside the fender and stranded me. i found the castle nut and two pieces of a broken cotter pin in the hole on the threads of the ball joint. i put the nut back on and towed it home to replace the axle. i got the axle back in and went to back out of my garage let the clutch up and the car didnt move in any gear. i took the axle out and let the clutch up with it in gear and saw the gears in the final drive turning. put the axle back in made sure it clicked into place and still the car wont move forward or reverse. am i overlooking something small or does anyone think something else might have gotten broken?

mirrorimg

I would have to point at the axle not being fully engaged, or the opposite axle came out. The transmission will spin if one is not engaged, because it looks for the least resistance to turn (As a result, our cars do one-wheel burnouts)

sleeper_92

i took the tire off the other side and pushed the axle in the transmission and now it drives. i gess when the passenger side fell out it must have pushed the driver side out just enough to not engage.

sleeper_92

well the tire was turning when the car was in the air but when i let it down onto the ground and let the clutch up still nothing happened i put it every gear and let the clutch up and in 5th the car eventually started to roll forward but when it rolled it killed the engine

sexystover

sounds like clutch is slipping, check adjustment or have someone push and release the clutch pedal while you watch to make sure it moves in the engin bay

sleeper_92

the clutch moves in the engine bay and i got the right amount of freeplay but now when i let the clutch up the transmission or final drive makes a whining noise and the car still doesnt move.i asked someone at the local honda dealership that has a 92 gs-r and she said to check to make sure the axle clicked when i put it in the final drive or to check the inner joint. the axle clicked when i put it in the final drive, im not sure what shes talking about on the inner joint.

sexystover

the inner jont is comprised of multiple parts so if you pull on it you can seperate it causing it to not transfer power, make sure everything is together and nothing came apart inside the boot of the axle