Car won't drive

varelaf

Ive got a dilemma, I have searched other threads regarding this so dont put me on blast...I have a 99 GS with a JDM Type-R 96-97 spec motor... Just recently about 5 weeks ago I put some function and form coil overs... I was driving down a street and my steering wheel started to shake really bad, how I would imagine it would feel like if you are about to loose a tire... The shaking it felt as if it was coming from the right side... Since I had just put the coilovers on I pulled over to check the bolts to make sure nothin was loose... I drove home which was about 1/4 of a mile... I called a buddy and he told me it was more then likely the axle... So I ordered the axles... I had to pull my car out of the garage to get some wood in there and when I was backin the car up, the reverse went in and back I went... I stopped and when I went to try to back up a bit more the car wouldnt move... I put it in first gear and nothin... All the gears go in just fine with no issues... The car revs with no issues... I can put it in first gear (the clutch feels normal) and pull the clutch out and the car doesnt shake, nothin... Its as if its in neutral...I can rev it while its in gear and I dont hear any grinding of any kind...

Now I have read threads stating that it could be the intermediate shaft, or the clutch can be busted... While I changed out the axles I was looking at the intermediate shaft... it looked good to me... Not too sure what I was looking for but it looked as if it was good... No play when I would pull on it... If anyone has any ideas please let me know... I just hope its not the transmission...

Last edited:

Jevon

Is the passenger side front axel broke? Before it stopped moving did the car over rev before moving? When you turn the car on does it make a knocking like sound under the car? I've blown up a clutch and snapped an axel in a 3rd gen eclipse before. Couldnt tell the clutch nor the axel was broke until we had to push the car off the road. The car would run normal but wouldnt move but when pushing it you would think it had a flat.

varelaf

I changed out both passanger and driver axle... Neither one of them was broken... When I start the car its like a normal start like any other day just that any of the gears wont engage... I had to push the car into the street once it wouldnt move and it rolled out with no noise or any kind of knocking... Even when I rolled the car back into the garage it went in just fine... I didnt struggle to push it in... I did it by myself and it rolled just fine...

Jevon

If you put the car in gear and let off the clutch does it stay running or stall out?

varelaf

If I let the clutch out it stays running... As if its in neutral... Thats in all the gears...

Jevon

If I let the clutch out it stays running... As if its in neutral... Thats in all the gears...
Not 100% on this. But you could have a bad clutch. I could be wrong so dont quote me on this. Then idk I usually get a warning sign of over rev then going forward.

varelaf

Alsowhen I had the car up on jacks I can spin the front tires while its in gear... Dont know if that would eliminate something...

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Do the tires spin independently? The tires should spin in opposite directions because of the differential, I know this happens when the car is not in gear but I am not sure if you will be able to turn them while it is in gear...I imagine that you would be able to but I can't remember if I've tried it before

c-rex31804

Did you make sure both axles were in all the way my buddy had the same problem and the axle was not in 100%

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk