car won't start after timing belt install

maq

Long story short. Timing belt snapped about two months ago when i was on the highway doing about 70mph, 3k rpms.

Finally got around to replacing the timing belt. Put new belt on, reassembled car. Car fired up after about 2-3 seconds of cranking it over. Car purred like a kitten. I let it idle for about 10 min while i checked all the fluid levels and checks all my bolt and such. Went to back the car out of the garage and noticed that there was no throttle response until the rpms got up to 2k. Then it would rev up like it always did.

Thought it was because it had been sitting for 2 months. Backed it out, and started driving down the drive-way. Got about 3/4 of the way down (100 yards long) and the car just died. I had it in neutral and was just coasting down the drive way. Tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't start.

I was very mad and just dragged it back up to the garage and left it.

Took a look at it just now and the timing belt is still good. But the battery is dead. Waiting for a friend to come by to give me some juice so i can turn it over a little to see if any part of the belt is chewed up from it jumping a tooth or something.

Any ideas?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
timing belt snapped.... when you put the timing belt back on did you make sure timing was correct?

did you smash anything when the belt broke?

shocker

there's a very good possibility you bent valves...and if not then you got lucky but before you do anything else i recommend you doing leak down test and a compression test

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
there's a very good possibility you bent valves...and if not then you got lucky but before you do anything else i recommend you doing leak down test and a compression test
x2! abd which trans do you have? i know in my ls 70mph in 5th is almost 4000 rpms...

maq

Yup everything was in time. Like i said it fired right up.

Never done a leak test before. I know what it is, but don't know where to have one done. body shop? or a parts store?

I checked everything about a hour ago and the belt is good.

One thing i noticed, the spark plug boot on the number one cylinder (far right facing the car) was loose. I tried pushing it down and getting a good fit but couldn't get it. I tried another boot and couldn't get it to fit either. But i could get both boots in other spark plug holes.

I don't have a deep end socket or i would pull the spark plugs. Hopefully tomorrow.

shocker

you can get a leak down done at any local shop....but if you got two wires that arent staying on then that will cause it to not start and the rough running before you went down your driveway, they may have not been on there good and the spark plugs not getting good spark..

pepsilude

my timing belt snapped at idle (maybe 800 rpm) and i had bent valves. you gotta be pretty lucky to not have bent valves.

JTLS

Probably tension on timing belt was not enough and the belt snapped. u probably bent valves.

maq

anybody have a write up on how to remove the head? i would just jump in and do it but for all i know there is something special that needs to be done.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Just do a compression test before you start tearing the head off of it. If the compression results are fine then check your spark plug wires, timing, distributor etc.

I've snapped a timing belt on an interference engine at 4k rpms and didn't bend anything.

maq

Just got done doing a compression check. Here are the results :cry:

45----110----114----56

I assume bent valves.

And i'm kicking myself in the butt about it. A few days after it went i got a head off ebay for $80. But told the guy i didn't need it thinking that everything would be ok.

maq

Nope. So about that head removal....Just start unbolting stuff once i get it at TDC?