car won't start and i have literally done everything i can think of

integra91RS

I drive a 1991 Integra RS with the b18a1 (all stock) engine. I was driving home one day and my engine just shut off and won't start. after the engine did shut off it stayed in gear untill i hit the clutch and brake of course.

At first we thought it was just a frozen fuel line as it was -2degrees out so i got heat (with injector cleaner) and filled up my tank. still didn't start.

checked the ECU and no codes are being read out

Fuel pump is priming when i turn the key to on. changed the fuel filter too

Main relay is fine and the PGM-FI relay is also fine. (in the same box)

no fuses blown.

Checked the spark plugs and there is spark in all 4 of them

took the valve cover off and the timing was off and the belt stretched and the tensioner had frozen so we figured the belt jumped a tooth and thought we bent a valve

did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and we got 165, 185, 172, 195. If i remember correctly they should be between 170-180 across the board so is it bad or uncommon to have this kind of compression?

i don't know what else to check or what the heck to do now, out of ideas. PLEASE if anyone has advice it would be much appreciated!!

Last edited:

JGvtec

Your timing is off sir.
Put a new timing belt on it and go from there. If it was stretched / jumped a tooth you probably just need to put a timing belt on. I doubt you bent a valve, and if you did you will find out after the belt is on.

Prozon

Kris
I agree with Jordan. If you think the timing may have jumped a tooth, or that the belt is stretched, it probably is. Do what Jordan says, slap on a new belt, and start it up.

integra91RS

might i add, those compressions up there were with the throttle closed.

i literally just did another test with the throttle wide open and got 160, 185, 100, 195

sooo i dunno if that changes anything or not

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Don't worry about the compression. Just go slap on a belt.
Worst case scenario, you bent a valve. In which case your head would need to come off and get some new valves put in.

Also, a compression test won't tell you if you have a bent valve would it?
I stick by the first idea.. just put a belt on it. Either way you need a new one.

mirrorimg

First a question. What does the engine actually do? Does it turn over and try to start? Does nothing happen when you turn the key?

might i add, those compressions up there were with the throttle closed.

i literally just did another test with the throttle wide open and got 160, 185, 100, 195

sooo i dunno if that changes anything or not
Oh man, 100 compression on cylinder 3?

That could be very well why the motor is not starting. You need 3 things for the motor to run. Fuel, Spark, Compression. The maximum deviation between cylinders is also probably about 30psi, so your cylinder 1 and 4 are at their limit. The motor should still start though, and at least run on three cylinders.

I would do the test over again at WOT (it is supposed to be done at WOT), then another time after putting a teaspoon of oil into the combustion chamber. Make sure you unplug the ECU fuse so that the injectors and plugs dont fire.

Make sure the timing belt is in-line where it is supposed to be.

Last edited:

integra91RS

Don't worry about the compression. Just go slap on a belt.
Worst case scenario, you bent a valve. In which case your head would need to come off and get some new valves put in.

Also, a compression test won't tell you if you have a bent valve would it?
I stick by the first idea.. just put a belt on it. Either way you need a new one.
compression tests cna give you an idea. with a bent valve there will be no or very little compression.
we did an air flow test too and all valves were opening and closing

integra91RS

First a question. What does the engine actually do? Does it turn over and try to start? Does nothing happen when you turn the key?.

the engine turns over and it sounds liike it is trying to ignite. like it'll jolt. but wont continue

i dunno how to describe it exactly, it's really weird.

Russyo

if the timing is perfect. Which means you put a new belt and tensioner on, then I would try a new dizzy and see if the TDC sensor went out. It's happened to a few people I know and it was just like you described. Driving along and then poof, nothing.

integra91RS

if the timing is perfect. Which means you put a new belt and tensioner on, then I would try a new dizzy and see if the TDC sensor went out. It's happened to a few people I know and it was just like you described. Driving along and then poof, nothing.
we are in the process of putting the new belt and tensioner on as i'm typing this (bathroom break :p). the old tensioner and belt were at a good timing, but i'll let you know whats up after we get everything back on and try to start it

Last edited:

integra91RS

UPDATE. timing belt is brand new and the tensioner, timing is as good as you can possibly get it.

i took the distributer cap off and the ignition coil off and saw that the rotor had melted, so took the distributer off and the bearing was bad in it so got a new distributer, new rotor, and cap. STILL IS NOT STARTING

please....... help.....

leftyfork

Check for 12 volts at your coil connection inside the distributor. You did get a new coil with your distributor I would assume?