car won't start (thank god for push start)

bcartwright88

Just replaced the starter,

still wont start.. fuses all seem to appear good.. what could I be missing?
and if I am missing something, let me know in detail: where part is located, what it does, how to fix/find/replace.

thanks guys...

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
clutch safety switch might be messed up. the wires came out of mine so i just jumped it.
look under the dash theres should be a switch like the brake switch but behind the clutch pedal.

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
Well I'm assuming you replaced the starter because your car quit turning over but did you test the old started when you got a new one? positive you connected all the wiring to the starter? Relay test good as well as fuses? Certain models have a security starter cut relay for anti-theft cars. TAM4511 has a good suggestion check the clutch interlock switch or if you have a auto trans then check the gear position switch. If you don't have anti-theft, your gear position or clutch interlock switches are good, fuses and relays are good, then either the ignition switch went out or you actually put in a bad starter (or didn't hook everything up, easy mistake I've seen bad starters from the box as well). Some freak occurance problems could be the starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear. Make sure you have a good battery connection as well as no corrosion on the terminals and a fully charged up battery

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
do you hear the clutch engage at all or any sound?

bcartwright88

everything is hooked up. no corrosion. had starter tested at autozone. passed 100% im not mechanically retarded.. just electrically retarded...

I dont hear anything when the clutch goes down... other than the clutch going down.... is it suppose to click of tick from the clutch safety switch thing?

bcartwright88

so on the starter there is a positive connection going straight from the battery. then the negative charge is sent through the ground of the car.. then there is this little male piece that has a connection guessing that is the starter signal? does that use 12v momentary power to get the starter going? could I possibly just put a push button in the cab that sends 12v power to the signal?

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
Theres no click or tick that comes from the clutch interlock switch you need to test it or jump it. Did you check the relay? and yes in theory you can just mount a push button start for your car but off the top of my head I'm not positive on the voltage signal but I'd also go throught the relay if I put a start on mine. Do me a favor and check your relay.

so on the starter there is a positive connection going straight from the battery. then the negative charge is sent through the ground of the car.. then there is this little male piece that has a connection guessing that is the starter signal? does that use 12v momentary power to get the starter going? could I possibly just put a push button in the cab that sends 12v power to the signal?
You can do that. Just run it into one of the spare fuses of the under hood fuse box for power.
Have you checked the relay? Possibly a bad ignition switch as well.