Car won't start

So Breazy

Hey guys, got a big problem here.

So i went to start up my car, and before it started up, it kinda lagged after i turned the key before actually starting it crank, and then away i drove. About 10 minutes later i turned off the car so i could gas up. Went to turn on the car, and it cranked died, cranked died, wouldnt crank at all. Left it for about 30 seconds, cranked and started so i was able to drive home. When i got home i wanted to see if it would start or not, tried to crank it, lights turned on but no crank at all. I heard something rotating or maybe a fan start to spin, but other than that nothing. The only thing that worked was my dash + accessories.

Please help me with this, if you could maybe get me started somewhere, let me know if its an easy fix at all. I had the same sort of problem with the car around the same time last year, but then after a while it went away and only recently started doing it again. This car is seriously going to be the death of me.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please and thanks for your time.

Btw im not very mechanically inclined to pardon me if i sound a like a doofus, also i drive a 94 rs.

Last edited:

bvans

DC5-ED9
was the engine turning over (trying to start)? if not check the ground on the starter motor, also inspect the battery terminals... sand them and clean them up.

Insomnia

Real Member
I had the same problem with my civic, it turned out to be my distributor, or maybe it's your spark plugs?
Well that's all I can say , hopefully its of some help to you.

So Breazy

was the engine turning over (trying to start)? if not check the ground on the starter motor, also inspect the battery terminals... sand them and clean them up.
no the car wasnt trying to turn over. i would only hear the fan(?) turn on and then shut off.

mynameisfun

A car needs three things to function. Gas, Air, Electricity--so start small, sounds like you car is not getting any electricity, so i would check your grounds and battery terminals(as stated by bvans.) If that doesn't work try having someone jump your car, if the battery doesn't take charge--then it's your battery. If the battery charges but then dies overnight, it could be your alternator not providing charge to the battery. Also i would check your spark plugs and see if the are good, as well as checking your wires, if you don't know what they are supposed to look like google that shit. Electrical problems are a bitch but It makes me SOOOOOO GLAD I DON'T OWN A VW! those things are a fucking nightmare with electrical problems.

good luck

So Breazy

A car needs three things to function. Gas, Air, Electricity--so start small, sounds like you car is not getting any electricity, so i would check your grounds and battery terminals(as stated by bvans.) If that doesn't work try having someone jump your car, if the battery doesn't take charge--then it's your battery. If the battery charges but then dies overnight, it could be your alternator not providing charge to the battery. Also i would check your spark plugs and see if the are good, as well as checking your wires, if you don't know what they are supposed to look like google that s***. Electrical problems are a b**** but It makes me SOOOOOO GLAD I DON'T OWN A VW! those things are a f***ing nightmare with electrical problems.

good luck
How do i check the grounds? And what should they look like?

EDIT: Found some more intel. went to start my car this morning, after failing to get it to crank, i jingled my steering column around a bit while turning my car and managed to get it to start. I did this twice, so maybe the problem lies somewhere in my steering column?

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:

eiznekeM

How do i check the grounds? And what should they look like?

EDIT: Found some more intel. went to start my car this morning, after failing to get it to crank, i jingled my steering column around a bit while turning my car and managed to get it to start. I did this twice, so maybe the problem lies somewhere in my steering column?

Thanks for the help so far.
If it worked when you jiggled the ignition, maybe the lead wires in there are loose. But start with all the easy stuff posted above. Give those guys some rep too.

So Breazy

If it worked when you jiggled the ignition, maybe the lead wires in there are loose. But start with all the easy stuff posted above. Give those guys some rep too.
Somebody told me the problem might also be my ignition coil, anybody know how to fix this and the level of difficulty?

And yes I will rep them, thanks for reminding me

eiznekeM

Thanks to whoever repped. I'm not sure how hard that is, try searching the web first and check out the Haynes manual if you have one.

So Breazy

So I believe the problem might lay in the starter or steering column. I did the good ol hammer the starter trick, worked for a while, then I did the jingle the steering column trick and it started when the column was in a certain spot. Any ideas guys? Should I still go ahead with changing the sparkies?

eiznekeM

Spark plugs are a good idea if the engine is up there in the miles. Check the starter selenoid, it might be fucked and not even kicking in anymore, or the connection between the ignition and the started is fucked. And I'm not sure which one is easier dude.

So Breazy

Swapped spark plugs, took a couple of tries to get it to start but didnt have to do any crazy jingling. My buddy came and looked at it and told me it might be my fuel pump, any way to tell?

eiznekeM

Thanks to whoever repped again. Turn the key to accessory (between off and start) and listen to see if you can hear it prime. It should just be a nice little hum. That's all I can think of on a way to check, maybe ask around or at a shop. Check your fuel filter too, it might be something simple.