Carbon fiber hood

bcartwright88

a buddy said he'd sell it to me.
50 dollars and its painted red...
would that be an easy fix removing the paint.
I have never messed with cf befor so this is out of my ball park.
my thought would be to sand it down, the spray with clear coat.
but any input would be fantastic..

whitedc4

:what color of red is it?? gah i'd but it from you i'd come to tulsa i'd give you more than what you paid for it..

SprchdGS-R

do it do it do it. i got aquired one and i love it.

speedin

The Transporter
Be VERY careful how much you sand it. Too much and your start to fray fibers, good luck then.

IMO, carbon should be painted with a color, just clear on carbon creates all sorts of problems in the long run. Its fine for motorsports because looks arnt as important. Now on a street car where you want it exposed to show it off you run into issues; the clear will yellow, its just a matter of when, the clear will develop "fingers" from the slightly flexing weave, and overall it will look like crap in no time because of the aforementioned. This hood sounds like a perfect hood to sand down just a bit and repaint with your color. :twocents:

(8,000)

Last edited:

bcartwright88

Be VERY careful how much you sand it. Too much and your start to fray fibers, good luck then.

IMO, carbon should be painted with a color, just clear on carbon creates all sorts of problems in the long run. Its fine for motorsports because looks arnt as important. Now on a street car where you want it exposed to show it off you run into issues; the clear will yellow, its just a matter of when, the clear will develop "fingers" from the slightly flexing weave, and overall it will look like crap in no time because of the aforementioned. This hood sounds like a perfect hood to sand down just a bit and repaint with your color. :twocents:

(8,000)
I never thought about the clear yellowing...
I think I will buy though. its such a good price. If i keep up with wax it shouldnt be an issue...
thanks all for your input..