Catalytic converter question.

DC4Dan

So im looking for a catalytic converter to put on my LS im not really looking for a high flow because i want it to be as quiet as possible and least smelly as possible. anyways, i know that a OE spec cat will reduce the performance of my car since i have a straight pipe right now. however i was wondering it will make a difference at this point if i get a 2" id od cat or a 2.25 id od cat. i have 2.25 piping BTW. So my question is with my 2.25 piping will it make a difference if i get a 2.25 cat or a direct replacement of 2 id od since either way im going with a OE spec replacement

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Obviously the bigger cat will flow more exhaust. bigger cat = more surface area = more flow.

DC4Dan

the reason i ask is because i cant find a 2.25 direct fit in only a 2". So i'd have to get flanges welded in and that pain in the butt stuff. so is it even worth it?

Murphy

Meat Master
If your exhaust piping is 2.25" that's a good opportunity to get a 2.25" cat. Yonaka makes good priced cats.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
No its not worth it. OE spec cat stinks. OEM cat is not designed for performance, it is designed for emissions.
Get a aftermarket high flow cat that is 2.25".
Or if you really want to go baller get a 3" cat and weld 2.25" flanges on it. The extra surface area will increase flow through the catalytic cells.