Ch-ch-check it out (build criteria)

Jmoney187

LivinLow
2000 ls 5spd.
Bolt ons:
aem CAI, greddy 4-2-1 headers, magnaflo 2.25" cat, buddyclub prospec exhaust, aem pulleys
internals:
gude stg.2 cams, skunk2 camgears, stg.2 valvetrain..retainers, valves and valvesprings (skunk2 or crower), jdm ek9 PCT pistons OR eg6 P30 pistons, eagle rods and bearings
electronics:
buddyclub condenser, NGK plugs and wires, ( DO I NEED engine manegment or upgraded computer or something??)
drivetrain:
exedy stg.1 clutch and 12.49pd flywheel, skunk2 shortshifter, (maybe gsr or b16 tranny eventually once the ls dies)
Brakes:
pads, power slot rotors

After months of debating what to do to the teg i finially decided to jst build the b18b, good low end torque with smaller exhaust sizes and higher comp. internals.
I still need to research more about the pistons and rods and computer but WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK??
all comments are welcome :D

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like a good setup, it's great to see someone lay out a true plan for their engine. Here's a few of my thought reading it:

AEM pulleys, I wouldn't bother with them, but whatever floats your boat.
Aftermarket rods aern't a necessity, unless the pistons you want won't fit onto your stock rods. Or if your engine is really high mileage, then yeah, it may be a good idea to dump the stock rods.
You do need a true ECU retune, a pigyback system won't do the job for the level of fuel tuning you need with the raised compression. You'll more than likely need bigger injectors too, I'd add those to the plan.
And you've made a good decision sticking with the stock IM.

lsvtecmyke

sounds like a good build. VERY similar to mine ;). I'm going with the b16 pistons and Hondata. Going to get new LS rods, and save up for a tranny, possibly GSR because i'll be driving the freeway alot so the b16 wont be good for me. getting an ITR tranny too and a new clutch.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Best of luck with your build! Im going to start workin on my ls build after Struts and my H-Brace

Jmoney187

LivinLow
TegSox said:
Sounds like a good setup, it's great to see someone lay out a true plan for their engine. Here's a few of my thought reading it:

AEM pulleys, I wouldn't bother with them, but whatever floats your boat.
Aftermarket rods aern't a necessity, unless the pistons you want won't fit onto your stock rods. Or if your engine is really high mileage, then yeah, it may be a good idea to dump the stock rods.
You do need a true ECU retune, a pigyback system won't do the job for the level of fuel tuning you need with the raised compression. You'll more than likely need bigger injectors too, I'd add those to the plan.
And you've made a good decision sticking with the stock IM.
Thanks for the input dude.. but yea i need to look into some hondata and shiz.. but what should i look for like what do i need to do to tune it??
also what size injectors, 370's or something?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Whoever's doing the tuning will be able to help you out better than I can choosing a tuning system, and will also be able to tell you what size injectors to go with. Your best bet is to locate the dyno shop you'll be having the tuning done at and ask them. I'm sure some OBD2 guys on here can make some recommendations for you too.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm with Tegsox, good setup! :thumbs up slightly bigger injectors would be nice with a dyno tuned hondata. check out RC Engineering for injectors. they are very helpful and are willing to help you make an educated decision. You are headed in the right direction! personnally though, i would go with a 2.5" header collector,carsound cat and exhaust with that setup. and i wouldn't worry too much about the pulleys either.

Last edited:

Jmoney187

LivinLow
dc2GS-R said:
I'm with Tegsox, good setup! :thumbs up slightly bigger injectors would be nice with a dyno tuned hondata. check out RC Engineering for injectors. they are very helpful and are willing to help you make an educated decision. You are headed in the right direction! personnally though, i would go with a 2.5" header collector,carsound cat and exhaust with that setup. and i wouldn't worry too much about the pulleys either.
Well i origionally wanted to gain lots of tq which is why i chose such a small header and cat.. and i think the buddyclub exhaust is like 2.36" or so.. when building the internals do you think these bolt-on's would have a negative affect on power?? or would they give me the tq that im looking for?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
dc2GS-R said:
personnally though, i would go with a 2.5" header collector,carsound cat and exhaust with that setup.
This is a B18B, he's going for a midrange powerband/strong low end. I think a 4-2-1 with a 2 inch collector, 2.25 cat and 2.38 exhaust is perfect. I'd step down to a 2.25 inch exhaust before stepping up to a 2.5 inch. A 2.5 would increase his peak HP a bit, but at the sacrifice of TQ and less HP under the curve.

JustaSolVTEC

Jmoney187 said:
Well i origionally wanted to gain lots of tq which is why i chose such a small header and cat.. and i think the buddyclub exhaust is like 2.36" or so.. when building the internals do you think these bolt-on's would have a negative affect on power?? or would they give me the tq that im looking for?
if you want more torque, I'd find someone to make a custom header or go with an smsp header. longer runners on a header = more torque.

Jmoney187

LivinLow
so basically.. i shouldnt skimp on th header and go with something expensive to try and make reall power.. like spoon or toda or something?? except i dont wana fork out 1000 for just a header, would that gains be that different? becuz i heard greddy made decent headers