Changed thermostat, had 2 problems

jackacc

I replaced my thermostat tonight and everything went well except for 2 things...

1. I only had 1 jug of Honda premixed antifreeze and I need just a little more than 1 jug... I am about a quart shy I think since the jug is under 4 quarts and I think the capacity for my 2000 LS is 4.5 qts?

2. I was following a writeup and when it came time to refill and get air out of the system, it said to loosen the brass bleed screw on the hose inlet housing. I broke out my hex bits on the ratchet and started to loosen it. It seemed to turn about 1 turn to the left and then got really tight. I then turned it about a half turn to the right which was also pretty tight, then went to loosen it more thinking I had to take it out all the way and I stripped the thing. No fluid has come out of it at all yet.

I started the car and let it idle for a while but it was not really getting that hot, the fans did not come on. So I drove it up and down the block a little to heat it up (scared the whole time that I was going to overheat it or that fluids was shooting out from the bleed screw somehow but it did not). When I got back to the garage, it was still about the same temp, maybe a little higher (just below the middle of the gauge...which was hotter than the car had ever been since before the thermostat replacement, it was almost always way at the bottom of the gauge)

So the fans finally come on. Top and bottom hoses are hot. I turned the heater on and the air was warm, but it seemed to fade to cooler after a minute. So I give it a little gas and the heat gets real hot.

I know I need to add more coolant so I am not going to drive it until I can pick up another jug. But I am worried about the bleed screw. Will I be able to burp the air out of the system any other way like running with the rad cap off and letting the bubbles come up? Was I supposed to take this screw all the way out or just crack it a little?

Here is the screw: (the one in the back)

I appreciate any help, thanks!

jackacc

Now I read some posts that say the 98+ integras do not have a bleed screw. ?? What is that little brass allen bolt in my picture if it is not the bleed screw?

98_gsr

the way i was always told was to run the car with the radiator cap off and wait til the thermostadt opens and continue to fill up the radiator till it stops bubbling. I used that method when i did my thermostadt and it worked perfect. I have no idea what that screw is but tighten it up lol

jackacc

the way i was always told was to run the car with the radiator cap off and wait til the thermostadt opens and continue to fill up the radiator till it stops bubbling. I used that method when i did my thermostadt and it worked perfect. I have no idea what that screw is but tighten it up lol
Yeah that is the way I always burped the cooling system in all my past cars. I'll just do that with this one and it'll be fine I'm sure. Now I am not even sure if I actually loosened that little brass allen bolt or not, I think I may have just stripped it! I got a set of channel locks on it last night and tried to move it but it would not budge.

If it becomes a problem, that housing is cheap and easy to replace so I am not too worried. Off to Honda tonight for another jug of coolant and see what I can do!

upshotunity

Burp it.

jackacc

Picked up another jug of coolant today and filled/burped the system using the rad cap and squeezing the upper hose. All is well. Running at the correct temp, heat is working awesome, I am happy. That little brass bolt is insignificant as far as I am concerned. :)