Changing Automatic Tranny fluid, need advice.

nexium

I see a lot of threads with manual transmissions.

I have an automatic transmission. Anyone have advice or a guide on how to do it and not fuck it up? Is it similar to changing the oil?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
kinda similar. theres no drain plug for the trans. you gotta drop the whole pan and use a new gasket when installing.

refill with a funnel w/hose into the dip stick tube. for proper level check, start the car and put the gear into NEUTRAL. then check on the stick.

when at the proper level, go for a test drive shifting from the lowest gear, to drive, stop and go in reverse. if it slips, add a bit more fluid.

good luck!

Posted from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

nexium

I looked at it and theres a drain plug. Is that right? its a 97 ls. Is there anything special to do on it other than drain and fill method?

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
kinda similar. theres no drain plug for the trans. you gotta drop the whole pan and use a new gasket when installing.

refill with a funnel w/hose into the dip stick tube. for proper level check, start the car and put the gear into NEUTRAL. then check on the stick.

when at the proper level, go for a test drive shifting from the lowest gear, to drive, stop and go in reverse. if it slips, add a bit more fluid.

good luck!

Completely incorrect.

There is a drain plug that fits a 3/8th ratchet on the bottom of the transmission, you pop the drain plug out, 3 quarts will drain, put the plug back in, and refill from the dipstick on the top rear of the trans with 3 quarts of any honda ATF Z1 compatible transmission fluid. Check the transmission fluid level in PARK, with the engine OFF, and the transmission WARM.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
shows how much i know about auto integs :p

please disregard my previous post.

looks like i learned something new today

codeblue

So Bros, I'll be doing my very first trans fluid change on my '93 Integra GS with 245+K miles. The previous owner did the last trans fluid changed at 153+K miles, I've only tacked on a little over 1000 miles on it after getting the car.
My question is that today I went to a Honda dealership and inquired if I can use their trans fluid for my Acura, the parts department sold me 3 quarts of ATF DW1 saying that it's the same thing. Is this a safe bet to use? I didn't want to hit after work traffic going to the closest Acura dealership to get the ATF Z1 that everyone seems to referring to.
Please advise, I plan in doing this work over this weeked.
Thanks.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
So Bros, I'll be doing my very first trans fluid change on my '93 Integra GS with 245+K miles. The previous owner did the last trans fluid changed at 153+K miles, I've only tacked on a little over 1000 miles on it after getting the car.
My question is that today I went to a Honda dealership and inquired if I can use their trans fluid for my Acura, the parts department sold me 3 quarts of ATF DW1 saying that it's the same thing. Is this a safe bet to use? I didn't want to hit after work traffic going to the closest Acura dealership to get the ATF Z1 that everyone seems to referring to.
Please advise, I plan in doing this work over this weeked.
Thanks.
It is not backwards compatible with atf Z1 fluid, i know that much. Your fine with an aftermarket fluid compatible with Z1, which i believe is GM dexron 3, ill have to double check.

codeblue

Thanks Spawne.
I was going thru the search bar and saw another thread on trans fluid and one forum member stated that for "high mileage" cars should not receive any trans fluid drain and fill. That this would potentially cause damage by loosening up debri like a flush fill and one should only add trans fluid.
Is it or is it not recommended to fo a trans fluid drain and fill ( whether done x1 or x3 ).
She's my project car and I don't want to do any damage to the tranny.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Thanks Spawne.
I was going thru the search bar and saw another thread on trans fluid and one forum member stated that for "high mileage" cars should not receive any trans fluid drain and fill. That this would potentially cause damage by loosening up debri like a flush fill and one should only add trans fluid.
Is it or is it not recommended to fo a trans fluid drain and fill ( whether done x1 or x3 ).
She's my project car and I don't want to do any damage to the tranny.
you do more damage to the trans by not changing the fluid, hondamatics do not function like your typical domestic automatic transmissions, they cannot be back flushed like you would normally see at your local transmission shop, thats typically where the horror storys come from. Drain 3 quarts from the bottom of your trains, refill 3 quarts. End of story. I run royal purple max atf in my trans and drag race, I havent had a single problem. A slightly higher viscosity fluid when at operating temperature actually seems to benefit these transmissions over the traditional ATF Z1 specs to be honest.

codeblue

Spawne,
Thanks again for the advise. I will go ahead as planned with the tranny fluid change this weekend and I will go back to return the honda brand (ATF DW1) fluid I originaly bought. The only decision left is whether to get the Acura ATF Z1 or the Royal purple stuff.
Appreciate the help.

codeblue

So I completed the transmission fluid change with very little difficulty except for the stuck drain bolt, it took a little encouragement from my trusty 'ol mallet to get it started. Had to use a vise grip to unbolt the drain plug at the end, suprisingly enough the fluid was still red and not the grey/black I've been reading about.
I went to Acura to buy the ATF Z1, apparently it's been "discontinued" and it's replacement is the ATF DW1 which is the same trans fluid I originally got from my Honda dealer.
She seems to be running smoothly through the gears as I took her for a pace around the parkway. I'm glad I did this, especially since it was a great weather to do it in.
I'll ride her for another 500 miles or so before I do another fluid change, that should take care of it. Since the fluid I drained was still red and it look clear, I may not need to the x3 that most people are doing.
Thanks again for the great advise. Now it's time to ride my Yammy :)

Last edited: